ODBC with Progress Version 8?

alavelle

Please forgive me if this is a topic that has been coverd already, or is something that can be acomplished with great ease. I did a search and didn't come up with anything so hopefully someone can help me out.

I client of mine has an ERP system running off of a progress (version 8) database. I would like the ability to connect to the database via ODBC but have had no luck in doing so.

I while back I downloaded the Progress ODBC FAQ and atempted connecting with the Merant Direct Progress driver. I had no luck and after many hours eventually gave up. Now on a newer project the need has come once again to connect to the database.

Instead of relying on Progress Results, can someone tell me what I have been doing wrong. The installation of the Merant driver seemed to be succesfull (acording to Merant tech support anyways) and they assure me the problem must lie with the database.

It has been a while since I last attempted the connection so don't know the specific error I get when trying to connect. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Also I was wondering, if their a driver that progess provides to connect to their database for version 8?

Lastly, switching to another topic it looks as if progress 9 now is SQL-92 compliant. Does version 8 have any capabilities to access the database through standard SQL?

Thanks!

ryansnyder

The Merant Drivers are the correct ones. In fact, when I just got Progress 9 after using 8 for many years, Progress 9 came with the Merant Drivers. ( I get Progress through our ERP system called Symix so that might be why it was bundled). At any rate, we got them to work with relative ease. Without an error message, it is a little hard to figure out why you were unsuccessful. One piece of advice is you need to set environment variables for IDLC and IPROMSGS. Merant drivers used to be known as Intersolv and that is where the "I" comes from. Without these set, it will not connect. The values should be the same as the DLC and PROMSGS already set. In terms of Prog8 being SQL compliant, I don't know of this. I've never seen it done.

Hope this helps!

U

Unregistered

I am using the Merant ODBC driver version 3.7. I can connect using Access 2000 to a Progress 8.3B database. I can also sometimes connect to a Progress 9.1b database. It is best to start a new Access 2000 database to setup your links. Import any old objects from a converted Access 97 database.
I can also run Actuate 5 with the Progress 8.3B database. I am getting authorization failed on some Progress 9.1b tables.
I am searching for answers to my inconsistant table links.

Pam.Maille@indsys.ge.com

Ross Culver

Merant is Right

The other responders are correct that the Merant Data Direct ODBC drivers are the correct drivers. You'll need Merant ODBC 3.60 32-Bit Drivers for Progress 8.x and up (actually 3.50 works with 8.x but not 9.0, so why bother to get 3.50).

The environment settings mentioned by the other responder for the critical should read:
DLC = S:\SYTELINE.SRV\DLC.SRV (map according to your network)
IDLC = %DLC%
PROCFG = %DLC%\PROGRESS.CFG
PROMSGS = %DLC%\PROMSGS
PATH = %PATH%;%DLC%\BIN

These setting must be set on every client. If the client machine is an NT or WIN2000, you'll set them in the environment setting in the system control via the control panel. Be sure and set them as System Variables.

If the client machine is W95, W98 or WME you'll type these setting into the Autoexec.bat file.

After loading the Merant drivers, you'll create your DSN in the ODBC Administrator. If you need help with this portion, feel free to contact me directly.

Note, we use ODBC extensively. Once we made it through the learning curve, we've experience very few problems.

Cordially,

Ross Culver
Texas Metal Works, Inc.
rculver@texmet.com

Depends on your ERP system...

The Merant driver is quite good, however I have not yet been able to get it successfully running with the proALPHa erp system which runs on version 8. If you are trying to connect to proALPHa I recommend trying the openlink drivers which can be downloaded from my website.

Ross Culver

Non-ERP

In response to Andrew's posting:

There's no question that Merant has several options depending on the application that one wants to connect to Progress with, however, in our case, ERP is not an issue. We utilize Syteline as our ERP user interface on top of the Progress database(s). God forbid that an ERP system would rely on ODBC to connect to it's primary databases. We only utilize ODBC for our external, supplimentary applications which all bypass Syteline (ERP).

Ross

alavelle

Still an error (with OID?)

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

I have added all of the parameters to the autoexec.bat file (we are using win98 clients) and believe I setup the system DSN correctly.

I am still getting the following error:

[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS DRIVER] A Progress database server cannot handle a non-progress database connection. (2664)[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS DRIVER} Error establishing open interface driver connection(2675)

After getting that I went to the server and clicked on the OpenInterface Broker icon, and even ran oibrkr32.exe from the command line but believe it said that -p and -u startup parameters required? Clicking on the icon didn't seem to do anything.

Some more server notes:
Progress Workgroup Database Version 8.3b
Client Networking v 8.3b
As for the Merant Driver I have version 3.5!

Thanks!!!

Ross Culver

DSN Settings

Double check these settings:

General Tab:
Data Source Name = any name you want (but be consistent at each station)
Description (optional)
Database Name = Progress database name (no extensions)
UserID = either leave blank (if you're not using Progress security, or put in a valid administrator userid. Blank is better for now.

OID/OIB Tab
Protocol = TCP
Service Name = oib agent (in our case it's Symixoib)
Host Name = Server name on which the Progress database resides

Database Options Tab
Database Access Mode = Direct
Database Path = path on the server (e.g. e:\syteline.db)
Database Operating System = Windows

Advanced Tab
You don't have to change any of the default here, but removing the check for security required will make you life easier.
In the Database List you can put the name of any other Progress databases you might have on the same server.

I hope this helps.
Ross

Fugey00

Progress on HP-UX, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm try to connect via ODBC from Win 2000 with merant 3.70 driver to progress 8.3B on HP-UX 10.20B

I'm doing what they says (Progress KBase 17204) except part 3.

Do I need to have Progress client networking on my PC.

As soon as i'm hitting the test connect in the ODBC administrator, i'm getting the error #126.

On the Unix side, my server it running and the OIBroker too.

Could someone help me on that ?

thank's.

dancar

odbc connection

In days past, odbc in Progress V8 was troublesome. 8.2c and 8.3b seemed most successful with Merant ODBC driver.
Look for patches on Progress web site.
It did work.

U

Unregistered

ODBC Progress v8.3b

Guys...

I've also had trouble in the past connecting to Progress via ODBC. However - the problem that has cost me hours of extreme frustration is actually very simple.

I've read all the replies to Andrew's post - and none happen to state that you need to edit the SERVICES file on the computer you're connecting to Progress from. This is located at C:\WINDOWS\SERVICES on Win9x. The Progress entries in the SERVICES file on the Progress server must also be in the SERVICES file on the client ODBC machine.

I hope this helps. It threw me for a loop for the longest time.

-Ryan Hatch
Applications Programmer
ryan@hitech-inc.com

A

avenalai

Re: Progress on HP-UX, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as i'm hitting the test connect in the ODBC administrator, i'm getting the error #126.

Could someone help me on that ?

Regarding the error 126 I assume that you mean error:
Specified driver could not be loaded due to system "error 126" (MERANT 3.70 32-BIT PROGRESS).

For this error you should read KBase # 20641.

Message imported from PEG email list