workgroup database

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,

I never had the "pleasure" of working with a workgroup database. But now I have the change of reorganizing a workgroup database.
In my memory it wasn't possible to create a database with a specific blocksize.
I just did some testing an found out that it is perfectly possible to create a database with 4K and 8K blocksize on AIX. It is also prossible to create type II storage area's and area's with different rpb.
It seems like the only differences with workgroup are the absence of background writers and the inability to do a multi threaded dump/load. (and offcourse the limited number of users).
Is this correct or am I going to be unpleasantly surprised along the way doing a reload?

Casper

Hi all,

I never had the "pleasure" of working with a workgroup database. But now I have the change of reorganizing a workgroup database.
I just did some testing an found out that it is perfectly possible to create a database with 4K and 8K blocksize on AIX. It is also prossible to create type II storage area's and area's with different rpb.
It seems like the only differences with workgroup are the absence of background writers and the inability to do a multi threaded dump/load. (and offcourse the limited number of users).
Is this correct or am I going to be unpleasantly surprised along the way doing a reload?

Casper

Extents can not exceed 2GB and you can not convert a db to a different blocksize (i.e. prostrct convert)

Hi all,

Casper

Pretty much so, other things are, extents can not exceed 2GB so set bi and ai threshold, and you can not convert a workgroup database to a different blocksize.