vBulletin Upgrade to version 3 beta

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Just to let everyone here know, I will be upgrading the boards today to vBulletin version 3 beta. We'll be one of the first beta sites, so there may be a few bugs here and there to deal with, however this beta has been running on vBulletin's own boards for a few weeks now without significant problems.

The upgrade may take an hour or two, as there are a number of database changes and conversions that need to be done as part of the upgrade process. Hopefully the downtime will be minimal.

After the boards are reopened, there will probably be a number of things to be done, so please be patient. I will probably need to redo the home page and the interfaces to usenet and PEG, as these use custom code that will likely need to be modified.

Thanks!

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
The upgrade went pretty well overall, and everything is back running again. I need to work on changing the board styles back to the way they were, and a few other things, but feel free to post. You can also use the Chit Chat area if you want to do some testing of the new features.

I'll post a list of new enhancements and a thread for reporting problems shortly. Please note the usenet and peg interfaces might be down over the weekend while I get those scripts changed. Also, I'll work on getting the old home page feature restored as well.

Thanks!

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Crittar
The new version looks pretty good so far Chris, I especially like the quick reply facility!
Thanks.... yes this quick reply is a very popular feature, and makes it very easy to add a post without having to load up the whole reply screen if you don't need to use it :)

Crittar

Chris,

I notice that one of the options available is 'add to ...'s reputation'

Can we have a brief comment on what this is and how it works please?

Jaigunc09 on 19th December 2009 said:
There are some really cool new features in the newest version of Vbulletin which was just released. This should take me a couple of hours. I will be starting around 2am PST.Stay tuned.

This is a continuation of the recent trend where either a clever spammer builds up to a spam post, or a very clever spambot does the same, or some new kind of weird and wonderful art form/cultural craze/alien experiment where random, and yet not completely irrelevant messages are lifted from ancient threads elsewhere and posted here.

And when we scratch our heads, and politely try to answer, or gently admonish them for digging up old threads, we encourage them, and fall into their nefarious schemes, and bit by bit they enter our lives, and one day we will wake up and it will all be SQL Server round here.

[Shudder]<shudder></shudder>
<shudder></shudder>

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I already thought it was suspicious, did you see the other posts?

Thanks,

Casper

Yep. I originally posted an analysis of what was going on (IMO), before I found the wikipedia article (which doesn't cover all the bases, I think).

It's quite admirable on a technical level, if not a moral one.

I've just realised you've deleted the post and poster, so I'll quote it - if you don't mind - for anyone reading this now in my first post, so the conversation makes more sense.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for that, I always find that the difficult part of deleting posts. It suddenly makes reactions on that a bit weird :) And I don't dare to edit your posts :)

How about the posts of Avemaamemndoc, for instance here: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?t=116433 also pretty weird.
I already deleted one nonsense post in novemeber.

[edit]
never mind,
deleted and banned
[/edit]

Casper.