Upgrade from EB to EB2.1

mkob

We are currently upgrading from EBsp2 to EB2.1 SP5 and Progress 10.1A. Anyont have any advice, good bad or indefferent?

cool_cali

The conversion depends on many factors like
1) OS involved
2) Database size
3) Customization in programs/modules
4) Multi domain functionality usage
5) Database downtime to users (when converting)

Remember to take mile stone backups at various points of the conversion by editing the .ini files. Better if you could simulate the conversion on a TEST environment at least 2 times before the actual Live conversion.

gatsbyinca

eB2.1 SP5...we just upgraded to this from eB2.

Could be a relatively painless upgrade or a nightmare depending on what your plans are. We implemented the new .NET UI as part of our upgrade (previously we used GUI locally and Desktop 2.6 remotely). For us, the .NET "piece" caused most of the problems...some our fault but others beyond our control.

If you go .NET, be aware that it's slower. Some of our users lasted about a day on .NET before we reverted them back to GUI. The other big problem we had was the way we connected to the DB's. Unbeknownst to us, it matters very much how you make the connection (direct connect vs using -H, -S, etc) when webspeed is involved. Locking was a huge problem.

Also, there is a known problem with running reports to Page in .NET (you cannot use window or terminal in .NET). Basically, the data cannot be trusted! Users will get annoyed very quickly. My advice...make sure you turn off the beautify reports functionality unless QAD come out with a fix soon. But I don't want to alarm you, as this is a problem only with running reports to Page in .NET. It's not a data integrity issue.

Good luck!

mkob

Thank you very much for the heads up. We also are running GUI. We have a lot of new users who complain about this interface, so we were looking at implementing the .NET UI in the near future. I think for this upgrade we will stick with GUI....tackle one problem at a time.

Thanks again.

eB2.1 SP5...we just upgraded to this from eB2.

Could be a relatively painless upgrade or a nightmare depending on what your plans are. We implemented the new .NET UI as part of our upgrade (previously we used GUI locally and Desktop 2.6 remotely). For us, the .NET "piece" caused most of the problems...some our fault but others beyond our control.

If you go .NET, be aware that it's slower. Some of our users lasted about a day on .NET before we reverted them back to GUI. The other big problem we had was the way we connected to the DB's. Unbeknownst to us, it matters very much how you make the connection (direct connect vs using -H, -S, etc) when webspeed is involved. Locking was a huge problem.

Also, there is a known problem with running reports to Page in .NET (you cannot use window or terminal in .NET). Basically, the data cannot be trusted! Users will get annoyed very quickly. My advice...make sure you turn off the beautify reports functionality unless QAD come out with a fix soon. But I don't want to alarm you, as this is a problem only with running reports to Page in .NET. It's not a data integrity issue.

Good luck!