Understanding the progress License

Pavan Yadav

Hi All,

My company is under a process to renew our progress license but we are not very much clear about how the license authorize us to use the application, access Database. What are the scenarios that judge the license count.

Can someone help me out in explaining this scenario as:
Suppose I have 10 license for each Enterprise DB and 4GL Development. Then how this 10 count works, what scenario reduces this count and what happens if there are 20 users who want to access the database?

Now, in my scenario our application is on unix server means DB and Progress and installed on unix server. How we access that is : We logon to Unix box with own id(suppose A1) and then logins into application with a single ID(Suppose B1). Now at the same time after 2person login into that application so what will be balance license after 2 logins i.e
A1 --- B1
A2 --- B1
After this license remained will be 8 or 9?

2nd Scenario:
A1 --- B1
A2 --- B2
What will be the balance license count here?

I have few more questions, confusion to discuss on this, so in order to avoid more mess, please someone explain this firstly.

RealHeavyDude

There are - as always - no simple answers to your question.

It all depends on the licensing model you have agreed on with Progress. Up to Progress V9 the model was in most cases concurrent users. Come OpenEdge 10 they changed the model to either registered client or named user. But that's not the whole story: Apart from having individual agreements with bigger customers like machine based or CPU based licenses, they allowed customers to migrate the concurrent user model to OpenEdge 10.

The answer to your question very much depends on the licensing model you have (it should be printed on the license addendum you have).

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Pavan Yadav

@Rzr:
Because of the costing and Progress guys told us that some of our programs might not work when we move from V9 to 10.2B and our company don't want to spend much and take a risk, because our application is moving out of progress in next 3-4 years. & we are upgrading it just because of our server upgrade and Progress 9.1D won't support solaris higher version.

RealHeavyDude

Then I guess that you are using a concurrent user licensing model. As far as may understanding goes you might install the Progress client on as many devices as you like to. You are only allowed to install the server licenses on one machine and you need to make sure that only as many users are connecting concurrently as you have purchased. As there is no technical limit (apart from 63 processes allowed to connect to a workgroup database) it is a violation of your license agreement with Progress. One way to check that is to have a look into the infamous *.lic file which resides in the directory where the *.db resides.

Just another point: The -n start parameter is the number of processes allowed to connect to the database - not the number of users. It includes such processes as servers, asynchronous page writers, the after and before image writer and the watch dog. Furthermore one user starting your application several times needs multiple connections to the database process-wise but still counts as one user. Plus you may still have batch processes running on the same machine which do not count as users too.

You see, still there is no easy answer.

By the way: Every migration from any V9 to any OE10 I did was just a re-compile and go. Therefore, IMHO of course, while the argument of the Progress guys is valid, the risk is minimal. And even upgrading to 9.1E leaves you with the latest and greatest machine running an application based on more than 10 years old technology.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
We had a few teething issues going from 9 to 10 back in the day. The main one was with returns in include files returning to the parent's parent block, not the parent. But I that bug has been fixed so as RHD says you'd probably find it's a compile and go scenario. Obviously you'd want to schedule in some testing... ;)

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Really, you need to take a look at 10.2B. 9.1E is stone age. 99% of the time 9=>10.2B is load and go and 99% of the remainder the change is trivial ... possibly as trivial as a keyword forget entry until you get around to cleaning up. As someone said in another forum, this is like running Win98 on a brand new high power PC ... even if it works, why?

rzr

plus you'd still have to test & do UAT even if you were to go live with 9.1E, so go for 102B and spend that time there... will hold you good ..