Progress Database and Webspeed

Emma

I am completely clueless about this.

i want to create a database that can be accessed and updated initially by two users. Once this is up and running, i want to be able to create a website to access and update the database data from the internet as well. What EXACTLY would i need to do this, software, hardware etc?

Also, does anyone have any idea of how much this would cost?

Please help.

Emma.

bendaluz2

I would think you will need Progress Server Licence, 2 client licences, developer licences, webspeed, application server, and also some web server software. As for hardware, it really depends on how many transactions you are planning / hoping to process, but I would have thought a mid range pc would cope with most things thrown at it. You will also need some kind of connection to the internet, if you dont allready, probably cable or dsl in this day and age. I am not sure how much the software will cost, but I would say you should be able to put together the hardware for under £1000. It depends whether you go for a package solution such as compaq or put it together yourself. If cost is an issue, i'd go for a solution comprising linux, apache, php and mysql as there are no licence fees to pay, but if you have in house progress experience, you probably want to utilise this.

Nice to see some other progresstalk users in Yorkshire :)

Emma

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Can you just clarify a few things for me?

Which of these would I need just to get the db up and running with maintenance from the office end? is it just the client licenses, and the developer licences? Also, i already have development capabilities on my machine at home. Would this mean that i wouldn't need the developer licenses?

Do you have any idea how much this lot would cost?

Where in yorkshire are you?

bendaluz2

If you were purely developing the application, then you would just need a developer licence on a single machine, with the database locally. Once the app is ready for the users to use, you will need the server licence, to enable remote connections to the database, and the client licences so they can connect. With the developer licences on your home machine, you wouldnt need any additional licences to develop, unless you needed the database to be based at the office and do development from home, in which case, you would need the server licence as above.
If you were to utilise your existing developer licence, you would also have to make sure that this is compatible with the server and client licences you were going to buy. i.e. if it is a v8 development licence, you may struggle to get hold of a v8 server licence or a v8 client licence( though I am guessing here, but Progress like you to buy the latest version if they can help it) - and may have to scrap your v8 dev licence and just buy all v9 stuff. I am not sure of current prices, but we got an enterprise server (10 users) for about £6000 and 9 client licences for £1150 about 12 months ago, so at least this gives you some kind of idea.

I am based in Huddersfield and work near Bradford, how about you?

Hope this helps :)