[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Identifier was left blank or is more than *32* characters (STATIC TEMP-TABLE AND DATASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

I think that it would be helpful if the OE developer tools would help enforce "style-cop" rules, if there are customers who want them. But that may be a separate conversation. I was more interested in the technical aspects of this restriction/limitation. I don't see why 32-character identifiers is better than a 100-characters or 256 characters, etc. On the same note, I think the limit on "STREAM" identifiers is even more restrictive than a table name. (I think it is like 10 characters or something odd like that.) This reminds me of the r-code segment limits that we used to run into all the time (for no particularly good reason). Thankfully most of those r-code problems went away after upgrading to OE 11. OE 12 is released and I suspect that it is too late to fix these issues until the next major version. We may be stuck with them until OE 13.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.