Need Help

Tino

:rolleyes: I really hope that someone can help me out. Our company recently purchased an accounting software and I understand that this software is written by Progress. My problem is each time when we need the database we would have to pay the vendor to do it for us and it costs us a lot of money and very inconvenience too. Is there any utilities out there that I can use to get the database and manupulate in Excel? or how do you get the database out?

Your help will be greatly appreacited!.

Thanks

In principal I cant see that you should have any problem manipulating your database. You will need to find where the database is stored. Use a file search programme such as the windows explorer find to locate all your .db files. ".db" is a progress database format.

When you have located your database you are able to manipulate it in a number of ways.

1. You can read data from the database using ODBC. There is an ODBC section under tutorials in my sight with links to demo software.

2. You can add tables and fields into your database using the progress editor or datadictionary. To do this you will need to find the programme prowin32 on your computer and start it. You must then connect your database. In the tools menu is an administration programme and the datadictionary.

3. You can use the editor to programmatically fill in fields in the database this is relatively simple and I would be happy to help you out with this if required.

Hope this helps

Andrew Price

jamesmc

Hi there Tino,

If you have a support contract between yourselves and the suppliers of the accounts package then I suggest that you check the agreement before you start making changes to the data dictionary or to the data in your database via the editor as doing so may invalidate certain areas (or all) of your contract.

What is it you are trying to do? Are you trying to export data from the database into Excel?

If this is the case you might want to see about contracting a Progress programmer for a few weeks or so as it sounds like you don't have one inhouse. The contractor will do all of the bespoke work that you need. This will also make sure that the code is correct for you. This will allow you to run the necessary programs when you need your data and you will not need to pay your suppliers any more unnecessary cash, although the cost of the programmer for the duration may be a little high you should weigh that cost against what you are paying your suppliers for the extra work!

HTH,

James.