Layout change?

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Is it just me or did the look & feel of ProgressTalk undergo a major shift yesterday?

No it is not just you. I must say that my first impression isn't that things got more clearly now. I have some difficulty in noticing the different colors. I asked Chris if he could provide us with some more styles to chose from in the hope to get me a bette interface. But I am very doubtfull that Chris reads my messages. I haven't heared from him in a long time.

What is your impression?

Regards,

Casper

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I think it was certainly time to freshen things up a bit.

I like having a wider space to enter a posting. Although the font is a bit small. And I'd like to have "more lines". Getting rid of the space wasting logo at the top of the page is good but replacing it with the "v bulletin" logo seems to miss the point.

It's way better than the total botch that PSC made out of PSDN when they went to "Communities" ;)

I would have liked to have eliminated or re-organized some of the space wasting forums. For instance, 3 flavors of "chit chat" at the top just seems silly.

But, for the most part, I'd say that it is a good change.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I think it was certainly time to freshen things up a bit.

I like having a wider space to enter a posting. Although the font is a bit small. And I'd like to have "more lines". Getting rid of the space wasting logo at the top of the page is good but replacing it with the "v bulletin" logo seems to miss the point.

It's way better than the total botch that PSC made out of PSDN when they went to "Communities" ;)

I would have liked to have eliminated or re-organized some of the space wasting forums. For instance, 3 flavors of "chit chat" at the top just seems silly.

But, for the most part, I'd say that it is a good change.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
"Reply to thread" acts kind of weird... "post quick reply" posts it but leaves you in an "edit" mode that looks like a "review" and if you post it again you get a double posting...

Casper

Staff member
I noticed that too, furthermore you get a warning on the "What's new page".

Casper.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
One very negative aspect of the new layout is that there is no longer a combo-box at the bottom of the page to navigate to other forums. It is much less direct to have to navigate using the bread crumbs if one visits forums in more than one section.

RealHeavyDude

Is there a possibility to make more clear which forums do have new posts? It appears to me that I have to go into the forum to see this.

Otherwise I do like the new layout, mostly for behaving more consistent when using the back button of the browser.

Thx, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

Staff member
Ooooh one nice feature is the ability to double click on the unread icon in the overview to set all threads in that forum as read. Like that a lot!

LarryD

vBulletin is used on quite a few gaming and tech forums on the 'net. There are a large number of add-ons, mods, alternate styles, color schemes, et all available. The admin/owner needs to install them, however.

Casper

Staff member
Ah great, it looks much better now for me.
Maybe you can also change the vBulleting logo and replace that with the ProgressTalk logo?
And maybe the ability to choose different skins then I am very happy :)

Tx, Chris.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Casper,

Thanks! I agree that the other colors were too difficult to see and the icons not clear enough before. I also replaced the ProgressTalk logo (although it might be time for a new one soon, I mean it still says 4GL instead of ABL!).

I'll also work on getting some new color themes installed, along with other languages, so everyone can set the forums to look the way they like best.

Thanks,
Chris
Ah great, it looks much better now for me.
Maybe you can also change the vBulleting logo and replace that with the ProgressTalk logo?
And maybe the ability to choose different skins then I am very happy :)

Tx, Chris.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Is it just me, or is anyone else having the problem of clicking on a post link in the treeview for a thread and getting an error about not being able to find the site, where the site is progresstalk.com\. i.e., the slash is backword. I get the same thing after a post, but going back to the thread and refreshing, the post has completed successfully.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Note, this problem happens in FireFox 3.5.7, but does not seem to happen in IE 8.

LarryD

Thomas, I get the error also in FF 3.5.7 but the post actually displays for me.

Same holds true if I quick reply or do a full reply... the post actually happens but I get the error message.

Code:
Firefox can't find the server at www.progresstalk.com\.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Yes, as I thought I noted, the post happens, but I have to navigate back to the thread and refresh to see it.

I also notice that e-mail notices are now coming from Chris instead of Webmaster, which temporarily broke my filter in Thunderbird

LJA

I believe the search function is not working at all well. If I do a search on some common word, e.g. "error" across all forums, it returns only 10 results. If I serach on "rebuild" (and I can see a post with "rebuild" in the title), no results are returned.

Cringer

Staff member
I get the error when I try to go to the last unread post in a thread too.