Answered -l Parameter

bob

OpenEdge 10.2B01
HP-UX
Telnet Clients
Hi,
I've come across an issue with the -l client session parameter which I'm hoping somebody might be able to shed some light on.

I'm running telnet clients on two HP-UX machines:
The first runs HP-UX 11i (Itanium, 64bit) and has 48 Gig of RAM.
The other runs HP-UX 11i Release 2 (HP-9000 series, PA-RISC 64bit) and only has 3 Gig of RAM.

The -l for a client session on the Itanium machine is set to 600.
The -l for a client session on the PA-RISC machine is set to 2000.

I'm getting an error message in the database log on the PA-RISC server saying that Progress is increasing the -l when the users run a couple of particular reports. Progress gives up after the -l gets set to 7200 and kicks the user out of their session. On the Itanium machine (which has a much lower initial -l setting), Progress keeps increasing the -l as needed and the reports run ok.

How does Progress decide at what point to give up increasing the -l setting and to kick the user off?
Is there a parameter for this? I've come across the -hardlimit parameter, but it isn't being explictly set for these client sessions.

Thanks for your help.

bob

Have you compared the ulimit defaults?
I hadn't looked at ulimit, but I've just checked the settings now.

If I run ulimit -a on the PA-RISC machine I get the following output:

data(kbytes) 1048576
stack(kbytes) 8192
memory(kbytes) unlimited

On the Itanium machine (which runs the reports without any issues), I get:

data(kbytes) 2015464
stack(kbytes) 131072
memory(kbytes) unlimited

I guess that UNIX determines when to kill the user's session if no hardlimit is set for the Progress client?

Thanks very much for the advice.

TheMadDBA

UNIX will happily kill processes once they hit the ulimit values. Some products either trap those kill signals and adjust as needed or check the limits before asking for more. Sadly Progress is not one of those products.

You can change the defaults (system wide or for selected users) but keep in mind that the new values will not be used until the next time you log in.