[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: Any tools for cross-platform backup-restore (off of HP-UX Itanium)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Are there any third party tools that allow Progress customers to do a cross-platform "backup"/restore? The intermediate "backup" file(s) would not need to be a standard format. They could be in any format (perhaps simply consisting of a package of regular OE dump files). The reason I ask is because Progress has left a big gap where this backup/restore feature should exist. I was hoping that somebody had something to fill the gap. (I'm thinking of vendors like riverside, roundtable, bravepoint, or any other vendor). Another obvious option is to dump/load but that is soooo much work. It involves numerous and very error-prone steps to be done manually by the DBA. Moreover it is very time consuming from the a DBA's point of view and, depending on how good the DBA is, the process can under-utilize the available hardware (ie. CPU and disk can remain largely unused on either the source machine, target machine, or both if the DBA is busy organizing their manual work, or they are neglecting to operate on multiple tables concurrently). If hardware is under-utilized then it can cause the outage window to be far longer than it needs to be. Long ago we had asked Progress about a product of theirs, "PRO D&L", but they said that wasn't used for the same purpose (ie. simply automating a dump/load). I think that product was for hooking into replication triggers and allowing a cross platform migration to be performed over several days without any database outages. We are looking for a much more *simple* (but fast) operation that moves data from one platform to another during an outage window that is as short as possible. I found an enhancement idea that is a couple years old now, and was wondering if this might be completed before HP-UX comes to its end-of-life date in 2025. Permit cross-platform database restore - OpenEdge Database - Products Enhancements - Progress Community It will be nice to move out of HP-UX one day. We'd go to another Progress platform like Windows or Linux. But the prospect of doing the dump and load is not something we look forward to. Long ago we these dump/loads on a yearly basis, but these days we are a bit out of practice. Speaking of migrating HP-UX databases, I thought I would point out that there was once a time when we ran the OE database on HP-UX PA-RISC. When that architecture stopped being supported by Progress, they were able to waive a magical wand and allowed the OE database to be migrated from PA-RISC to Itanium *without* requiring a dump and load (see KB: Progress KB - Can a database be migrated from HP-UX PA-RISC to Itanium without a dump and load ? ). Is it reasonable to hope that they will do a similar thing when the time comes once again to stop supporting Progress on Itanium? (Eg. OE 12 no longer supports Itanium) It would be really nice if Progress would consider doing all the heavy lifting for us. Using their dump/load process is not a very happy prospect at all.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.