[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: Client Session is writing to windows application event log!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

I've seen the OE database server write events to the windows application log before. That is not a surprise. But today I was very surprised to notice client-session messages too. For the first time I'm seeing that certain client-session errors and warnings are being written to the windows event log. Here are the two examples I've found so far. Note that these are being added to the event log on a PASOE server that has no database running on it : Message from PROGRESS database lumbertrack (5199) WARNING: -l exceeded. Automatically increasing from 390 to 400. (5408) Message from PROGRESS database lumbertrack (5199) Lock wait timeout of 10 seconds expired (8812) This is a bit of a surprise. I have always relied on using the PASOE agent logs to find my errors ... but now it looks like some of them can be reported to the windows event log too. The PASOE instance is even going so far as to register a new event source ("LUMBERTRACK_PROGRESS") for these events. Screenshot. The docs and KB have very little on this topic, but it appears there is at least a little bit of customization that can be done to adjust the behavior: Progress KB - How and where to set the EVTLEVEL environment variable https://docs.progress.com/bundle/openedge-startup-reference/page/Event-Level-evtlevel.html I'm wondering how far I can go with the event-log capabilities of PASOE ... maybe we can even use SCOM to extract errors out of these logs. It might give us more options for managing PASOE servers. I just wish that the LOG-MANAGER had a mechanism to send messages to the windows event logs as well as the agent logs. I haven't found that functionality yet.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.