Installing Progress - 32 bit Setup Launcher

03jh01

Hi everybody,

Just a quick question. I have a 32 bit setup launcher for Progress version 9.1C. Would I be able to run that setup and install that version of Progress on a Windows 7 64-bit operating system?

Thanks.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Why would you want to as Progress 9.1C is ancient and obsolete!

03jh01

I agree. However, our company is still using version 9.1C, and apparently the company has never had a reason to change :). I know it's fine on 32-bit Windows 7, I was just curious about compatibility with 64-bit.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I strongly suspect it will not work as we're still supporting 9.1d clients and all our new machines were intentionally bought as 32bit Windows installs for Progress compatibility issues. The only way to be sure though is probably to give it a go :)

03jh01

I was/am quite skeptical too if i'm honest. I have actually just managed to borrow someone's personal laptop that luckily happened to be running 64-bit Windows 7. I tried to run the setup launcher, and it said it was preparing the InstallShield Wizard, and that ran through and hit 99% progress (not the InstallShield Wizard itself, but the preparing of the InstallShield Wizard ;)), at which point a windows dialog box appeared. All it had in it was the windows error icon. No text, no error message, no title even. The installation process stopped when I cleared the dialog box by clicking 'OK'. I'm guessing this means it's not going to work, unless there could be some other issue causing the problem?

sdjensen

You could install the Microsoft Virtual PC and run the Windows XP mode.

Why do you need to have Progress installed? For development or is it runtime files only?

If it is for runtime only, you could copy the files from an existing installation, you might need to add the path to enviroment settings but otherwise it should work.