How to Allow database extents larger than 2Gb in Progress

a.onyango

Hello All,
When running a batch data importation, the database crashes since there is a limit to the extent a database can hold on Progress. How can we extend the database file to allow more than 2gb.

Please assist me.

OpenEdge Progress Version 10.A

LarryD

Tom has given you the solution for the Enterprise version.

If you have workgroups, though, I believe that enabling large file support (> 2GB) is not available. You also didn't say whether it's the data extents or bi extents where you are having this issue. In both cases, you just have to add extents to the db (data and/or bi) for the workgroups version.

I should note that if it's the bi extents exceeding 2GB (even with large file support enabled), you may want to look at your batch code import programs and look into finding why you might have extremely large transactions (e.g the entire import is one big transaction).

a.onyango

Hello Tom,
This is what I am using and still not getting results: proutil <xxxxx.d1> -C enablelargefiles. Should I stop the progress database before I run this command in Proenv, then restart it again.

Please assist

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The name you specify after "proutil" is the logical database name, not an extent name like "dbname.d1". You must run this command with the database offline. Also, as Larry indicated, this command is only available if you are using the Enterprise RDBMS.