GUI Progress Problem

Rabbit

Hi all,

I am using Progress for over 6 years on UNIX platform,
now my company is changing the front end to NT and I
get some problem on developing NT Progress program :

1). When I start the procedure editor, the program will ask me to connect to the database, how can I connect my database which is locate on UNIX but my working platform is a PC.

2). I use the User Interface Builder to draw a report parameter input screen. I save it as a .w file and compile it through the procedure editor. But when I run it from my menu, I get an message "<Programe Name> can be RUN PRESISTENT only.", can any one tell me what was that means?

3). Follow question number 2, if I add the PRESISTENT key words, the error message does not displayed, but there was nothing displayed on screen.

Can anyone tell me what was going wrong, and is there any help document I can found from the ineternet which can help me to development the GUI Progress program,
thank you very much!

jamesmc

Hi there,

You can connect to your unix based databases by using the client networking feature of Progress. When you are asked to connect to your database type in the physical name and then hit the options button. From here you will need to select a network type, type in a host name and a service name and also indicate whether the database is for multiple users.

This is the bare minimum information required and the information that I have said you will need is for a TCP network. You may need to specify more information depending on your setup.

Do users connect to this database when they run GUI apps? If they do you can have a look at the icon that allows them access to the system and see what PF file it uses (this is a parameter file that will hold all of the information you will need), it will be specified after the -pf command line option.

In there you will be able to get:

pyhsical name - whatever comes after -db
service name - whatever comes after -S
network type - whatever comes after -N
host name - whatever comes after -H

HTH,

James.

Rabbit

I more question...

Hi Janesmc,

Thank you for your help, I've try your method and find the required information from the pf file. But I still got one more question, when I fill in the required data and click the OK button, I got a list of error message that telling me the code page of the client is not match with the code page of the server, how can I specified my client code page?

Rabbit

jamesmc

Hi there again,

Codepage information should also be specified in the PF file. There maybe a few different parameters specifying code page information but they are generally parameters specified with an option that begins -cp. The best way to see code pages are just look for values that begin ISO.

Once you have a list of parameters with the necessary code page values, add them to the "other connect statement parameters" box at the bottom of the connect screen.

If you like, you can e-mail me the PF file that the users use and I will strip out the few parameters that you don't need and create a PF file that you can use to connect to your database without having to fill in all of these boxes all of the time. If this sounds good to you you can e-mail me via the link at the bottom of this message.

HTH,

James.