difference between progress 9 and progress 10.1c

mindus

Hi
i have my application with progress 9 and now i need to change to progress 10.1c. Can any one please tell me what is the difference between progress 9 and 10.1c.

Is it true that the datatypes are different from progress 9 and progress 10.1c.

For example progress 9 have varchar instead of that progress 10.1c has character.

And also please tell me how to create primarykey on the progress 10.1c.

If there is any document is available please share it.

Thanks
mindus

RealHeavyDude

Every program that compiles with Progress V9 will also compile with OpenEdge 10 without a fuzz. The new data types that have been introduced with OpenEdge 10 do not replace any that were available in Progress V9. From the existing application's point of view it's just a re-compile and go - if you don't want to use any of the new features ...

Creating a primary key is the same procedure as in Progress V9 - if you take a look into the data dictionary tool it will look very familiar to you ...

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
This http://www.oehive.org/VersionHistory should give you a start, but as RHD says, ABL has always been upwardly compatible. 99% of the time it is load and go. The exception is mostly application specific things like having defined a field name in a table which corresponds to a new reserved keyword.

And, no, 9 didn't have varchar. That is a term used in non-OpenEdge databases and in SQL, not in ABL.

I don't know what your issue is about primary keys ... one does it exactly the same in 10.2B as one did in any prior version that I can remember ... probably the same code, in fact.