Can't Think

mkob

I am currently upgrading from Progress version 9 to OpenEdge10.1A02, and need to run both version on the same HPUX system for several months. I am having problems getting thisn to work unless I manually run proenv then run my scripts.

Anyone have a simple thought I am missing?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Given that it is Unix, you can easily have scripts to launch one or the other .... perhaps you already have scripts and just need two flavors?

Girish Girigowd

We have been running multiple versions of Progress on our Unix systems with no problems. As it was pointed out, make sure you have the correct DLC and other environment variables are set correctly, also the working directory. You may need different scripts to start each version. You may have to convert the DB from version 9 to 10 by making a copy of it or restoring a backup.
Good luck.

Genie06

Hi

Does anyone have any instructions on doing this, i.e. installation of 9.1D already installed and OE10 needs installing!

Thanks

Hi

Does anyone have any instructions on doing this, i.e. installation of 9.1D already installed and OE10 needs installing!

Thanks

By installing Progress as per your wish scripts can be copied into /usr/bin. When you plan to use different versions this can make unexpected things. In most of the cases - as it was mentioned already - is enough to set the Progress environment variables correctly but if any script was modified between the releases can have unwanted results. You always must be sure that the correct scripts are running.
To ensure this when I need to run multiple versions I do not permit copying of scripts into /usr/bin and make starting scripts for each versions (fi. run9.sh and run10.sh, these can be placed in /usr/bin).

HTH
-istvan