There is No Server for database d:\slh\live.db ERROR

slh

Hi,

I tried to create a client server application for Progress 9.1B.

Server currently running on Microsoft Server 2003 OS, however when I started the ProControl it was fine, the error occured when I tried to established connection using data Dictionary in the server.

I read somewhere that it is possibe using Progress Explorer Tool but not sure how to go about it. I tried to connect via localhost? define databases, but face configurations in the default configuration.

We had used an Enterprise License already.

Anything that I missed or there is some

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
9.1B is, to coin a phrase; ancient, obsolete and unsupported. You should upgrade.

When I want to start a server I open a proenv window and use proserve. That avoids all of that crazy nonsense with admin servers and properties files. Proserve may be ancient but it is far from obsolete or unsupported. And it has the advantage of actually working.

slh

Hi Tom,

Managed to get the Server up using ProServe Command under ProEnv.

However I am curious why is it that ProControl status of the database connectivity is not being refresh as connected since that using ProEnv we got the server up and running.

RealHeavyDude

IMHO the main reason for that is that the ProControl is even much more ancient, obsolete and unsupported as 9.1B - it is a remnant form Progress V8 and was replaced in Progress V9 with the Admin Server framework which can be accessed through the Progress explorer which is a snap-in to the Microsoft management console ...

All of these services are only aware of the database if it is managed. Managed in this context means started and stopped by ProControl or the Admin Server. If you start the database via proserve it is not managed. It is subject to discussion whether it's better to have the databases managed or not. Personally I tend to the unmanaged option.

But, either way, if you can start the database with proserver than your issue is in the configuration of the database either in ProControl or the Admin Server and not that there is something wrong with your database.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

GregTomkins

When I want to start a server I open a proenv window and use proserve. That avoids all of that crazy nonsense with admin servers and properties files. Proserve may be ancient but it is far from obsolete or unsupported. And it has the advantage of actually working.

Every now and then I read something on the Internet from an almost total stranger that makes me want to crawl into the monitor and hug them.