The Future of BravePoint Products and Services

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I wonder if the books will become Progress books now that Progress has acquired Bravepoint ...

TheMadDBA

Because they have a great history of doing the smart thing with the companies they acquire? :D

Not really sure how much of that belonged to BravePoint and how much of that belongs to Dan. Wonder what the fate of ProMonitor is going to be.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Because they have a great history of doing the smart thing with the companies they acquire?
Yeah, well, maybe it'll all be a moot point when PSC spins them off as a separate company in five years. ;)

Not really sure how much of that belonged to BravePoint and how much of that belongs to Dan.
The books are branded as BravePoint but copyrighted in Dan's name. So I guess he owns the IP.

Wonder what the fate of ProMonitor is going to be.
And the Pro2* suite, and ProD&L... I've never had the chance use any BravePoint software but it looks interesting. And it's not like this industry is knee-deep in tooling, especially DBA-focused stuff. So it would be a shame to see it go away. If there's a viable revenue stream there from licensing and maintenance, and if present BP customers have to be supported anyway, then it makes sense to allocate resources to those products and keep selling them.

....Aaaand we're officially off topic completely. Sorry.

TheMadDBA

I suspect that anything that conflicts with an existing and more expensive PSC offering will go away. Would be nice to hear something directly from Dan on this, but I imagine he can't openly comment.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
So I would expect ProMonitor to go away, given a market overlap with OE Management. But PSC offers nothing at all for D&L.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Haven't heard anything. But I'll be talking to my account rep and Brian Bowman tomorrow. I'll see what I can find out.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Had an email that there will be chance to hear more about the Telerik stuff at the PUG in Dusseldorf. Suspect that this will also be a topic of conversation too.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Not much to report back. I discussed it with my rep and the upshot is it's too early to tell. Or maybe just too early to tell me. :)

They're off to their big internal sales conference next month and it promises to be an area of active discussion, along with the other recent acquisitions as well I'm sure.