Text + image/"form" to PDF

65bit

Hi,

We have an app specific legacy environment using Progress 8.2C on SCO Openserver 5.0.7. I need to be able to (1) scan a pre-existing “form” consisting of logo/boxes/lines/static text as an image [whatever format], (2) lay variable text (from Progress) on top of it and (3) output the "merge" as a PDF file.

I see how to do it using a PCL macro with PCL forms/overlay to an HP printer, but can't connect the dots for the PDF part. I’ve searched and read to the point that I’ve talked myself in circles (pcl2pdf, PDF include, ghostscript, etc). Can someone help point me in the right direction with a 1, 2, 3 of the workflow & (hopefully no-to-low cost) toolset to accomplish this?

Thanks,
David

Stefan

I have no experience, except for peeking at the code, with pdfinclude and no idea if it will run on 8.2C but I think using your scanned image as a watermark would be a good starting point? You can then add the fill ins to the correct locations also using pdfinclude. I am assuming that the scanning and positioning is not something the user needs to do.

I recall there are quite a few good examples in the pdfinclude source set which should help you along.