Progress -vs- PowerBuilder

Mike Eliott

We are looking at switching from a 20 year Cobol application over to a 4GL environment.

Management is pushing for PowerBuilder (4GL). We have a very experienced Progress developer who is pushing hard for Progress. We have even found a Progress app that already does much of what we want to do....

The problem is, our manager has been in companies who use Power Builder. Never really heard of Progress before it was brought up here. Web searches compare PowerBuilder to Java, .NET, C++, etc..

I have no idea other than I like what I read about 4GL languages and several references strongly recommending Progress. What I do read about Progress is that it is the "best kept secret" out there. It is hard to convince management to go with something they have never heard of.

Any thoughts you might like to share would be appreciated !

Mike

sfrearson

I had to use Powerbuilder some years ago - nice tool, but it sits on top of a database, such as the horrendously expensive Oracle in our case, whereas Progress is everything in one shrink-wrap, as it were. Tell your CFO that he is opening himself up to the gentle scew of ever expanding cost if he goes that route, whereas Progress will stay within a fixed boundary, costwise.
Any help?

For my part, I have to convert an application written in COBOL to a Progress application and I am looking for TOOLS, any tools, that will help me with the data migration.

Good luck,

Stuart Frearson

sfrearson

I had to use Powerbuilder some years ago - nice tool, but it sits on top of a database, such as the horrendously expensive Oracle in our case, whereas Progress is everything in one shrink-wrap, as it were. Tell your CFO that he is opening himself up to the gentle scew of ever expanding cost if he goes that route, whereas Progress will stay within a fixed boundary, costwise.
Any help?

For my part, I have to convert an application written in COBOL to a Progress application and I am looking for TOOLS, any tools, that will help me with the data migration.

Good luck,

Stuart Frearson

Kevin Willis

::: OpenEdge Studio

Hello Group Members -

I'm new to this board, and I'd like to find out more about those who
have used OpenEdge Studio.

We will need to be developing applications which can be deployed
to the web, host-based and client-server environments.

What is OpenEdge Studio retailing for within the US?

We're located in Southern California.

Regards,

- Kevin Willis

Kevin Willis

Going with Power-Builder will be a big mistake.

You'll only realize that AFTER requiring add-on after add-on to finally get
the business functionality you need.

Mike Eliott said:
We are looking at switching from a 20 year Cobol application over to a 4GL environment.

Management is pushing for PowerBuilder (4GL). We have a very experienced Progress developer who is pushing hard for Progress. We have even found a Progress app that already does much of what we want to do....

The problem is, our manager has been in companies who use Power Builder. Never really heard of Progress before it was brought up here. Web searches compare PowerBuilder to Java, .NET, C++, etc..

I have no idea other than I like what I read about 4GL languages and several references strongly recommending Progress. What I do read about Progress is that it is the "best kept secret" out there. It is hard to convince management to go with something they have never heard of.

Any thoughts you might like to share would be appreciated !

Mike