OpenEdge enhancement request portal

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
For those of you who may have forgotten... Progress has a portal for enhancement requests and there are a lot of good ideas there. Product management has also been a lot more responsive to these recently than they may have seemed to be in the past. If you have not been actively reviewing the list and voting you might want to visit OpenEdge Ideas

Several of the people who regularly answer your questions here have important suggestions that would improve all of our lives. I strongly encourage you to vote go through the list and vote for ideas that you like and want to support, it only takes a few moments and your opinion is being heard and valued!

Last edited:

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I second that. I have requested many OpenEdge enhancements via the Ideas portal, and upvoted others' ideas, and it is very gratifying to see them get into the product.

Having said that, some ideas languish there. An idea may be worthy but, because of a small pool of participants on the portal and perhaps only a small subset of those using a given feature, the idea may get few votes. PSC Product Management uses the idea vote counts and comments as signals in their backlog prioritization process.

I am not asking for you "game the system" by spamming votes indiscriminately. But if you read through the ideas in the portal, you are bound to see some that resonate with you. They may address product features you use often, or pain points you or your colleagues have encountered. Please participate, it really helps!

Note: a login is required; they are the same credentials you use for the other Progress web properties: your Progress ID and password. Anyone reading this likely already has one. If not, registration is free. Join the conversation and help yourself and the OpenEdge community!

dimitri.p

I strongly encourage you to vote for anything submitted by anyone whose name you might recognize

Of course no one should do that!!
Openly soliciting votes on name recognition alone, is just wrong.

I am not asking for you "game the system" by spamming votes indiscriminately. But if you read through the ideas in the portal, you are bound to see some that resonate with you. They may address product features you use often, or pain points you or your colleagues have encountered. Please participate, it really helps!
This a the sensible way of putting it. :)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You’re right. I got caught up in hyperbole. Obviously you should vote for things that you understand and support.

I will edit my original comment to reflect that.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
It's very frustrating when requests for less used products get overlooked, but in general, yes, the system works very well. A lot of features in 12.x releases have been community driven.