Progress Explorer Problems

PJan8724

Hey Guys,

I'm having a problem with the Progress Explorer Tool regarding starting and stoping of the database. My company is upgrading to Open Edge 10.0 from Progress version 9.1c and I've got a test system that I just build a little over a week ago. Once Admin Service is started, the database started automatically and is up and running the Explorer Tool can see that the database is running. However if I use the Explorer Tool to stop the database and restart it again, I get the following warning message:

"The item you requested to start is not networked.
If you proceed DefaultConfiguration will be started but will have no communication with the admin server.
The admin server will not know if it is running or not."

At this point the database will start but I'm not sure if it is started correctly using the correct configuration settings. My only choice is to go into the windows management console under services and restart the Admin Service. After I do that the Progress Explorer Tool will see that the database is up and running correctly. However going through the management console and stopping the services is not something that I would recommend doing, especially if for some strange reason I have to have one of the operations personal stop the database for me if there is a problem and I don't have access to a PC in order to remote in and do it myself.

Is there a work around for this, am I just using the Explorer Tool incorrectly or doing something else wrong because at this point I'm not very confident with the database software as a whole. Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide regarding this matter.

Thanks,

Pete J.

vinod_home

Hi,

SYMPTOM(s):

Database does not start via Progress Explorer

Message "Unnetworked Item: The item you requested to start is not
networked. If you proceed <item> will be started but will have no
communication with the admin server. The admin server will not know if
it is running or not."

CAUSE:

The port number is not assigned to the server group

FIX:

Assign port number to the server group. This is the port number for
database service.

These port numbers can be set in the properties of the server groups.
(Found under ... Databases -> <db name> -> Configurations -> <config
name>)

PJan8724

vinod_home said:
Hi,

SYMPTOM(s):

Database does not start via Progress Explorer

Message "Unnetworked Item: The item you requested to start is not
networked. If you proceed <item> will be started but will have no
communication with the admin server. The admin server will not know if
it is running or not."

CAUSE:

The port number is not assigned to the server group

FIX:

Assign port number to the server group. This is the port number for
database service.

These port numbers can be set in the properties of the server groups.
(Found under ... Databases -> <db name> -> Configurations -> <config
name>)
Hey Vinod,

Thanks for the help, the port number did the trick. I had put in a -S paramater under the other server arguments, apparently that doesn't work correctly.

Thanks again,

Pete J.