[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: PASOE "modules" and related compilation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ravi Sankar

[quote user="dbeavon"] It is really unfortunate that you aren't planning on open sourcing your gradle plugin. I don't understand how Progress can piggyback on the massive benefits of open source technologies (Java, Eclipse, tomcat, gradle) and then turn around and decide not share some the pieces of plumbing that relate to the compilation of ABL. Consider, for example, the parsing of the build configuration file in an OE project ... that really doesn't seem like a sensitive trade secret to me! (Or at least it shouldn't be). [/quote] I will leave the business aspects of the decision to @Oleg but one of things that we considered for our decision to open sourcing is the interest and willingness of people other than progress in contributing to the development of the Gradle plug-in. Since it is the very first release, we chose not to go with open source. Your feedback is always welcome. [quote user="dbeavon"] Will the gradle plugin be bundled with PDSOE or will there be an additional cost? Are you going to be charging an extra fee to use the plugin *outside* of the PDSOE in automated CI/CD procedures? I suppose the answers to these questions may explain your desire to not open source. Even then I still cannot quite understand the logic ... the compiling of ABL source shouldn't be a premium feature. [/quote] Gradle plug-in is not bundled with pdsoe. It will be a plug-in in Gradle central. It gets downloaded automatically on first use. However it can be used only if you have 4gl development license and works across all openedge supported platforms. It is not priced extra in 12.2.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.