Progress 4 GL tool kit

Pavan Yadav

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea about the following Progress components, why and where we are using these components, Can we live without 4 GL Development ?
1. Enterprise DB.
2. Oracle Data server.
3. 4GL Development.
4. Client networking.

we are currently using all above components in version 9.1d on solaris 9.

RealHeavyDude

Without telling us more 'bout your application and if you do development or not one can not give a reasonable advise.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Pavan Yadav

Hi ,

Thanks for Reply. We use progress dataservers and also some development work too. I have tried installing 9.1E just now without progress 4GL development.
there are problems with data dictionary which is opening only in read only mode ... so i got answer of my question that we have to go for 4 gl development tool for DBA purposes. Please correct me for other reasons also....
This is only one i got . similarly we may face compilation errors or schema updations..

We are having applications which are running 24*7 all days. And routine upgrades takes place for application programs.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
4GL on the server provides the data administration, as you has discovered, provides you with the ability to compile code for the server (not absolutely required if you have a pure client/server application with no code on the server, and gives you the ability to write little queries and maintenance operations on the server. I think it is a good thing to have unless there is no source code anywhere in the system.