progres munnys problem

oguntern

Hello,
I have i have a job in mysql and now i want to dump from a old progress db (progress 9.1D)
I have read the 700 pages of documentations.... but my data base administration is read only, and when i want to read wit dictionnary the message is
"because the version of PROGRESS you are using, the dictionary is on read only mode" any idea ?
regards:confused:

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
How big is the database?

At a command line run the "showcfg" utility. This will tell us what licenses you have installed which may help to resolve the issue.

If you have a license which allows data dumps the following command should get you to the data dictionary:

mpro dbname -p dict.p

From there you would go to Admin -> Dump Data and Definitions -> Table Contents.

If not then you would need a custom dump routine to be written or someone with a proper license who could do the work for you.

One quick and simple solution to the problem would be to hire an experienced consultant to dump the data for you. There are several hanging around here. Check my sig line for one possibility ;)

oguntern

thank you very very much for your response,

showcfg command :

Configuration File: C:\Program Files\PROGRESS\PROGRESS.CFG

Company Name:

Product Name: Enterprise DB
Installation Date: Thu Sep 24 08:08:11 2009
User Limit: 6
Expiration Date: None
Serial Number: 003350542
Control Numbers: ?XAS9 - XPXTN - K4CYJ
Version Number: 9.1D
Machine Class: KB
Port Number: 31

database :

aproximatively 1 gb in multiple files

I have start db with

proenv>proserve cogest
PROGRESS Version 9.1D as of Wed May 8 17:24:00 EDT 2002
23:42:47 BROKER : This broker will terminate when session ends. (5405)
23:42:47 BROKER 0: Multi-user session begin. (333)

but after mpro dbname -p dict.p

ther is no server for database....:mad:

best

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
To debug the "no server" problem we need to see the last few lines of the log file. It should be named cogest.lg. If the server really did start there should also be a cogest.lk file (this is the "lock" file).

oguntern

Hello,
thanks a lot,

it's running but dictionary is always read only.... and i have no accès to admin menu.

the lg file

6:33:12 Single-user session begin for olivier on CON:. (451)
06:33:12 Begin Physical Redo Phase at 0 . (5326)
06:33:12 Physical Redo Phase Completed at blk 0 off 131 upd 0. (7161):confused:

And with proserve the database start, but with dbman.....

proenv>dbman cogest -start

ERROR: Unable to locate database <cogest> (DBMan005)

and i mean i have a big problem, the proserve service is started but

proenv>proadsv -query
AdminServer not alive. (8543)
????????????

If i want to dump a table

proenv>proutil cogest -C dump "ciel" "c:\"
response
Unable to open or create c:\PROGRESS\WRK\" /ciel.bd, error 13. (2257)
Failed to write out section header. (6128)
Binary Dump failed. (6253)

I'm ok with oracle, sql, acces.... but with progress i understand nothing .... :)))
thanks

For you whats is the best way for migrate to mysql

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Of course, on this board, we are unlikely to think that migrating is the best solution. Don't you have a substantial investment in your current Progress application that you are going to have to recreate on another technology? Might it not be less expensive to simply get this one fixed?

The first question here might be for you to give us a bit more background. How recently has this application been working. What happened between then and now. Obviously, something has been messed up along the way and that is certainly not helping.

Which said, you seem to have a DB license, but no 4GL license. That is certainly going to be an obstacle. Do you have source for the application or just .r code from some vendor? Do you still have a relationship with that vendor?

You might try starting a single user session with the -rx parameter.

oguntern

Hello, thank you for the reply.

I'm just an employee ... and the decision to switch to mysql in order to collect an old base in a web application.

I have source of program for migration in .p but right i mean i have a proble with license, i can not compile.....

The creator of the programm don't exist now...:confused: and i'm alone for this.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If someone once upon a time wrote a .p to do the migration then one presumes that there must, somewhere, exist a license capable of executing it. The first place that I would look would be the workstation of the person who wrote it.