Problem with installing Progress 9 on 2003 x64 server

Kemyst2k5

Any tricks to installing progress 9 on WIN 2003 x64? I got the following error when installing. _ISDEL.exe is in use

I stopped the SQL and anti-virus did the reg clean and still get this error. I know the install media is good, I installed on our 32 bit 2003 server with no problem.

Any advice for a noob?

Kemyst2k5

:) :) Answered my own question. Here it is for anyone else who runs into this.

ID: P113519
Title: "Getting busy error on file _isdel.exe when installing Progress 9.1E on Windows 2003"

Created: 02/16/2006Last Modified: 11/30/2006Status: Unverified
WME('Facts: ');

Facts:
Progress 9.1EWME('Facts: ');
Windows 2003 R2WME('Facts: ');
Windows XP 64-bit
WME('Symptoms: ');

Symptoms:
Getting busy error on file _isdel.exe when installing ProgressWME('Symptoms: ');
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. _ISDEL.EXEWME('Symptoms: ');
_isdel.exe is not listed in the Windows Task Manager when checking for running processesWME('Symptoms: ');
Brand new installation of Progress on the SystemWME('Symptoms: ');
Rebooting the machine does not help
WME('Cause: ');

Cause:
There is a service on Windows 2003 called "Application Experience Lookup Service", which runs the _isdel.exe process
_isdel.exe needs to be run from the (Progress) install shield in the event that the installation needs to be backed out.WME('Fixes: ');

Fixes:
Disable the Application Experience Lookup Service before installing Progress

heindhoven

Hello,
I know this post is quite "old", bu I'm having the same problem like you did, except i'm running Windows Server 2008 x64.
I'm triny to install Progress 9.1E, but get the same error:
"the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (E:\install\...\......_ISDEL.exe"
However on our Windows 2008 x64 server, there is no Application Experience Lookup Service. But, there is a service called "Application Experience"
The problem is that disbaling this service before installing Progress does not solve the problem, I keep getting the error.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
It is a known problem. Best thing to do is upgrade and I hope you are aware of this.

Anyhow try the following:
If youget to the summary screen during installation startup taskmanager and delete _isdel.exe process. If the proces stops then continue installation.
This works on vista, so most likely also on server 2008.

HTH,

Casper.

heindhoven

..Thanks Casper, We did some extra research and found a workaround for this problem:
If youget to the summary screen during installation, start the resource kit utility (formerlyy sysinternals) "process explorer" and do a find on _isdel.exe. Double-clik on all ISDEL.exe's of the typ "handle" and stop them. Then continue installing Progress. This way you are able to install progress with an uninstall option.

heindhoven

...another problem:
I'm trying to create a linked server in SQL 2008 to Progress with an ODBC link. We successfully installed and tested the MERANT 3.60 32-BIT Progress SQL92-v9.1.D. Also the connection test was succesfully. We installed it from the 32-bit ODBC Administration tool in Windows Server 2008
The SQL server 2008 is 64 bit. Is it possible to create a linked server on this 64 bit SQL 2008 with the 32-bit ODBC driver? If it is possible, how?
We keep getting the error message:

The linked server has been created but failed a connection test. Do you want to keep the linked server?
------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
------------------------------
Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "TEAMSOFT".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "TEAMSOFT" returned message "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7303)
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?Prod...31&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=7303&LinkId=20476

RealHeavyDude

IIRC 64Bit ODBC drivers just became available with the latest release, OpenEdge 10.2B.

Whether it is possible to use the 32Bit Progress 9.1d ODBC driver with 64Bit SQL 2008 depends whether SQL 2008 can handle 32Bit drivers in a 32Bit emulation - but I doubt that that will work.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.