Probems with Progress 9.1b Merant ODBC driver win2k

Zilvinas

Hello,
I have the problem with Progress 9.1b and ODBC on Win2k box,
Im using Merant 3.60 32-BIT Progress SQL92 v9.1b driver.
The problem is when I am trying to connect to progress via ODBC (or testing
connection from ODBC admin) I get error:
[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS]-219901
So ODBC client can't establish connection, when I look at processes I see
_sqlsrv2.exe running. and according progress DB log the connection was
successfull
Does anyone had the similar situation?
I have the idea, that ODBC driver is sending SQL_LOGIN_TIMEOUT, what is not
supported by progress.
I also had the same problem on WinNT computer running Progress and Oracle on
the same machine.

Thanks
Zilvinas Binisevicius
zilvinas@dbit.lt

Ross Culver

Zilvinas:

Isn't the Merant ODBC driver SQL92 primarily for connecting from Progress to SQL:

We use, have used, and I'm using on my W2K workstation, Merant ODBC 3.60 32-Bit Driver, and, assuming all of the other setup steps have been taken care of, it works great.

Ross

nalinu

odbc and sql92

I am trying the same connection to a progress 9.1a database and samething happens.

Ross is it possible for you to explain how you have setup the client on the w2k machine and what stuff you didat the server end for them to connect so well ?

Thanks in advance for any clues !!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Nalin.

R

RossCulver

ODBC

1) Services file (c:\winnt\system32\services) should include something like the following:
#Progress Product Line
symixoib 25000/tcp
database 25050/tcp
Check with your network administrator for the appropriate values.

2) Host file (c:\winnt\system32\hosts) should include the IP address for the Progress server. (ex. 223.254.254.203) Again, check with your network administrator for the correct values.

3) Your environment settings (Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advance, Environment Variables) should have the following script added to the System Variables :
set DLC=s:\dlc.srv
set IDLC=%DLC%
set PROCFG=%DLC%\progress.cfg
set PROMSGS=%DLC%\promsgs
set PATH=%PATH%;%DLC%\bin

(where s:\ = your appropriately mapped drive)

4) Load Merant 3.60 32-Bit ODBC drivers
5) In the ODBC administrator (start, ODBC 3.60 ..., ODBC administrator) Add a System DSN:
a. select Merant ODBC 3.60 drivers, finish
b. Data Source Name-enter any name you want for this DSN (be consistent at every workstation, you'll be glad you did)
c. Database Name- enter the actual name of your Progress database
d. leave UserID blank
e. Protocol- tcp
f. Service name - the same OIB name you put in your services file (ex. symixoib)
g. Host name- the server name where db resides
h. Access Mode- direct
i. Database path- path (ex. e:\syteline.db)
j. Operating System- Windows
k. Advanced Tab:
1. You may want to uncheck security required. If not, you must tell all of your users to never enter a UserID in the popup login that results from the connection.
2. Additional database- list any additional progress database you may be running on the same server and want to access (ex. mtr)
l. Test Connection

Once you have this DSN properly connecting you can use it in any Microsoft program such as Excel, Access or MS Query, or SQL.

I may have left something out. Let me know if you have any difficulties.

Ross

Message imported from PEG email list

U

Unregistered

Ross,

Thank you. the explanation given is for the oibroker method of doing it. This is supported in 9.1a for backward compatibilty.

WE already have the config you explain working.

What I am after is the new sql92 connection. If you try to set this up on a w2k machine, it does not ask you for the service names of OID/OIB and the path names etc. It connects purely to the database name using the database service port !!!!!!.

When I do this it fires up sqlsrv2 on the server and hogs the processor big time sometimes upto 98% of processor !!!!.

Same happens if I try to run sqlexp on the server it self (HP Ux11.00 L class).

Any ideas ? Again Thanks for response > have a good day.

Regards,

Nalin.

Ross Culver

SQL92

Nalin:

You're now in an area where I can't help. We don't use the SQL92 drivers because we never write to Progress from SQL; we only pull from Progress into SQL.

Plus, it appears that your hardware configuration is significantly different from ours.

Best of luck.

Ross

nalinu

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the input anyway. I am awaiting some information from our Progrress supplier who has promised to resolve the issue soon.

Live in hope for now.

Cheers.

Nalin.