D.Cook

Piew - Suggestions

I've been using a Piew a lot recently and appreciate the new editor, particularly the function/procedure toolbar. I have a few suggestions for improvement, feel free to consider/ignore as time permits:

• When I give focus back to Piew (eg ALT-TAB or click it on the titlebar), the editing frame should be active (not Code Explorer), so the user can start typing.
  • The last used directory is stored in registry, but this doesnt seem to update very often. So when I use the Open dialog, it seems to go to a directory I haven't accessed for some time.
  • The find tool error dialog box is quite obtrusive. It might be nicer to show the message in the status area instead.
  • The keyboard shortcuts are more like MS Office shortcuts and not other programming text editors, making it hard to start using this one. It would be great if all the shortcuts were user-configurable.
  • I was going to ask for keyboard shortcuts for syntax check, run and bookmarks, but you've already done them!
  • A style for current line (so that yellow highlight colour can be changed)
  • Auto tab backspace: If user presses backspace and there is only whitespace between start of line and cursor, remove spaces back to previous tab.
    Eg with tab width set to 3, line starting with 5 spaces, pressing back space will go back two spaces (previous tab)
    Code:
    -----|run main.p.
    ---|run main.p.
  • Auto indent: if user presses enter after open block (eg "do:" or "for each:"), indent the new line. If user types close block (eg "end." or "end procedure."), unindent the current line.

Also, these ideas would be nice!

• Rename/move current file. Eg like in ConTEXT: File>Rename, enter new name. (enter absolute or relative pathname to move).
  • A file explorer, like the code explorer.
  • Integrated syntax check: call a TTY progress program in the background, returning text which is parsed by Piew to set line and col number (Like ConTEXT).
  • CTRL-Click (or other shortcut) on a procedure name, function name, variable name will take the user to where it was defined. (like the code explorer)
  • Other user-defined commands to execute external program (with params like current file name, current selected word). This could be used to run merge program, data dictionary, batch process, etc

roan

Re: Piew - Suggestions

Hello,

I have 2 problems with editor.

1, if I selected blog of code (by ALT+mouse) and then push the button "Indent", all selected code will dissapear
2, if I use spaces infront of procedure definition (e.g. /*xxxx*/ PROCEDURE test") then I can´t see this procedure in Code explorer

PDECODE

New version

3.70 - [31.07.2012]
- Some indent code removed
+ When you get back focus to Piew (eg ALT-TAB or click it on the titlebar), the editing frame get active if last focus was in Code Explorer (D.Cook)
+ The same also on start when you have enabled Code Explorer
+ Added possibility change color for current line - after restart (D.Cook)
+ Added possibility change color for selection - after restart
+ Added other 5 user-defined commands to execute external program (D.Cook)
+ Added new replace parameter: %4 - current selected word, max 255 chars (D.Cook)
+ Added Rename/move current file (D.Cook)
+ Added option to display find messages in status bar (D.Cook)
* Fixed last used directory in Open dialog (D.Cook)
+ Added custom environment (checking, running, propath) from command line (Nanlin.W, M.A.Solano)
* Changed settings window​

Last edited:

danielsantos

Re: New version

Hi

I have been using piew editor and having great surprise because it’s replace the native progress editor very well.
Although I have a doubt. Why characters like “ã”, “á” doesn’t appear in the code even in encoding "ANSI"?

Regards
Daniel Santos

PDECODE

4.00 - [26.09.2013]
* Fixed startup position if you have stored coordinates on second monitor that is now missing
+ Updated gui component (2.8)
+ Added close tab on middle button click
+ Added folding for CATCH & FINALLY words
* Fixed possible bug with File change check event?
* Fixed wrong parsing of triggers in code explorer, e.g. ON ERROR UNDO, LEAVE
+ Added better MRU file list sorting based on use history. Using file already contained in MRU list get position on top of MRU list, before stay list without change

Last edited:

Ryan Walker

I'm not sure if this post is still monitored but I'd like to put my input in for piew. I love the tool the only few gripes I have are:

-I'd love to have the ability to have alias' pop up on the spacebar like they don in the original editor. This is making it difficult for me to transition because when I type DO: it adds my END. for me and I'm very used to that. Even having a way to customize the shortcut for alias complete so I can set it to the space bar would be great.

-Auto Complete- this is sort of the same way. I love the functionality but I have having to hit ctrl + space. Visual studio handles theirs very well, its up when you need it, and you can select which entry you want with the arrow keys and hitting <Return>. Similarly I used a tool called ABHack that had similar functionality and it loaded the database tables into memory as well and was really nice and I think that functionality would greatly enhance the Auto complete.

Thanks for such a great tool.

Ryan

PDECODE

4.10 - [10.02.2014]
+ Added possibility to change the font color in code explorer (Topi Pihko)
* Fixed refresh by pressing "Reset style" (in Options: color of buttons & preview)
+ Added parsing of structured files in code explorer (faster, better output, more accurate)
+ Remember collapsed groups by refreshing code explorer
* Double click selection on word don't work on variables with numbers (Wiktor Golonka)
+ Auto-completion is now default enabled on each input (turn off if annoying) (Wiktor Golonka, Ryan Walker)
+ Minimal word length to auto-complete is set to 2
+ Added ability to expand alias automatic on the spacebar (Ryan Walker)

Last edited:

PDECODE

4.20 - [26.05.2014]
+ Added database browser, try double-click on some field to copy him to current source (Chris Luck)
+ Added autocomplete dialog on F8 for database, table and field names (Topi Pihko, Ryan Walker)
+ Added Refresh of the Code Explorer tree view when a file is saved (Corné Nickols)
+ Make the line always visible even when the window is not in focus
+ Added Toggle the Code Explorer window on and off, when clicking the Code Explorer button on the button bar (Corné Nickols)
* Fixed crash on editing Chinese sources (just fixed crash, not fully supported yet)
* Fixed refresh on closing last file, the window title still displays the last file name (Corné Nickols)
* Better remember code explorer expanded/collapsed nodes (Wiktor Golonka)
+ Updated gui component (2.9)

Last edited:

PDECODE

4.30 - [12.08.2014] - Happy Anniversary of Your 30th Birthday Progress!
+ Added multiple selections with Ctrl + Mouse click (Wiktor Golonka)
+ Added simultaneously typing into Rectangular selections or multiple selections
+ Added clipboard pasting into Rectangular selections or multiple selections
+ Added support for reading Progress data definitions (*.df files) for database browser / autocomplete (Bladum)
+ Added output case format for Tables & Fields in script Dump_Tables.p (v1.1) (Nelson Alcala)
+ Posibility set path to Alias file in custom .ini profile (Stanislav Kaisler)
+ Added new function: Fold all & Unfold all (Ni Dazhi)
+ New version dll (2.2.8 -> 3.4.4)
* Fixed Code Beautifier - reset level after FUNCTION ... FORWARD (Bladum)
* Changed shortcut for "Try open clicked word as file" to (Ctrl + Alt + Mouse click), before (Ctrl + Mouse click)
* If you load file from commandline and already exist in "restore files" suppress warning "File is already oppened" (Ni Dazhi)
* Fixed if you search for something that is folded - unfold it after show (Ni Dazhi)
* Fixed bug in autocomplete dialog for database/tables (if DB contains table with the same name, you never get fields list for this table)

Last edited:

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Seems your hosting account is suspended. Is there an alternative way of getting hold of piew?

BryanG

Suggestions...

I've been spending a lot of time lately with both Piew and PsPad. I wish I could combine some elements of both, so here'e the things I would love to see added into Piew.

1. Horizontal/Vertical split. This lets you do things like see your defined variables at the top and then at the bottom you can be typing and see them.
2. Projects. basically, keep a list of the current tabs and allow that to be saved as a project. Then you can open a project and all the code associated with that project opens up for you.
3. A little more configurability for keywords (especially for colorization/beautification. Ed used to have the ability to create your own keyword lists and I would save my table and field names for the DB in there so they would highlight)

Kudos
- love the code explorer!
- love the folding
- Nested comments work right (they don't in PsPad)
- Found the Propath search! Very handy!

All in all, thanks a lot for a very useful tool!

PDECODE

1. Is planned Feature ...
2. I can add some simple project file where is just list of files that need to be opened. Then you can open it from menu "Open Project" or with Drag&Drop. Files that are not found - some warrning message ...
3. Is planned Feature ...

BryanG

1. Is planned Feature ...
2. I can add some simple project file where is just list of files that need to be opened. Then you can open it from menu "Open Project" or with Drag&Drop. Files that are not found - some warrning message ...
3. Is planned Feature ...

Thanks! And that would work very well as a project feature. I name my project after the request number in our internal tracking system. Could be one program or 50. Just makes it nice to be able to pull up that request number and have all code open up. It would also be helpful to see a project list view so when writing up the move request I have a good list of all of the various code modules involved.

Pal

Hi,
Is it possible to change the deafult demo database to the own database in the database browser?
When I start to type an alias name, I have to type the full name for expand it with space. Are there any settings where I can set auto-complet for the alias names like the autocomplete list for keywords?
It's a good tool, thanks!

PDECODE

Yes, you can add your own DB, just read instructions located in "Piew_Dir\DB_Dump\Readme.txt"
Alias are defined in file Piew.als or go to Options/PROGRESS and press "Edit aliases file" button.