odbc connection via internet

rulid300

i have some problems with my odbc-connection with progress v8 (runs on a sco-unix-system). the newest merant odbc-driver (4.0 evaluation) is installed on my win2k-web-server. i set all variables and the odbc-test (system-dsn) was successful.
on my developement-environment i can access to all data, so my unix server must be configured correctly.
if someone connects from the internet to login my site, the webserver doesn't answer anything. not even an errormessage shows me the problem. the browser seems to wait for something...i don't know.
if my webserver (win2k) is booted recently, there seems to be no problem. every user can connect to the db and login without any delay.

dgingras

If you're using Progress V8 with the OIB (_prooibk) and the internet client is going through a firewall that uses Network Address Translation, you're out of luck.

I filed a support issue with Progress over a year ago on the same problem; they couldn't determine why it was failing only on Internet connections. Eventually I used a packet sniffer to determine that the OIB can't establish connections to a NAT'ed IP Address. As I recall, the OIB hands off the connections to the newly-spawned OID process and sends the remote client a new port number on which to communicate. It's at this point that things stop working.

When I reported the cause and potential solution to Progress (use FTP-like passive connections), they informed me they would not correct it because they had nobody to work on the OIB, OIB was supported only for LANs and for backward compatibility, and there would be native ODBC support in Version 9.

Since the OIB uses a fixed range of ports starting at 1024, you may have some success if you allow ports 1024 - 1100 thru the firewall, at least for testing purposes. You can also check that this is the problem you're encountering by trying to access your database from a machine that uses a static IP address (make sure there's no NAT on any firewall you traverse).

Hope this helps....