Question New to Progress Databases and need to know if I'm doing this right

Cody Morton

I'm the computer guy for a company that needs their Progress database to be exported and they are converting to another company (former was SX). In order to save money, they've asked me to try and export the data to tab-delimited files for the new company.

I've been using Hyperion to export data. It was working fine, until I come across tables with millions of rows and hundreds of columns.

So let's say I need to export this huge table. It has 200 columns so eventually I come down to about 20 parts.

To make these 20 parts, I add the first 20 tables to the query then export the results. For the 2nd part I add the 20 following parts and then export.

So.. it appears that I am doing it right. I would use scripts like I see everyone else doing but I have no idea what the user/pass is for admin account. The old company probably has it but I doubt they will give it to us.

My my issue here is: I have no idea if the "parts" i am making actually add up. Is the first row in Part 1 the same row in Part 13?

Please let me know if I am doing all of this right and if the data I'm exporting is correct. I'm completely new to all of this and trying not to make any mistakes.

Thank you so much! Also, if you need any more information please let me know.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I've moved this to the DBA forum as I think it's more relevant here.

Which version of Progress is the database running on? And what OS?
Do you have a database structure file? I'm struggling to get my head around what you are trying to describe. A structure file will have the extension .df and there will hopefully be one floating about somewhere! :)

GregTomkins

I don't really understand this question, but if I were faced with converting a table with 10 million rows and 200 columns... the 200 columns would not faze me at all. The 10 million rows would only faze me if I was exporting to text files (which I assume you are) and said files were likely to exceed 2GB. Last time I did this, a few years back, everyone (not just Progress) ran into 2GB problems, so I ended up splitting the file into 2GB chunks on both the Progress export side and the Java (I think it was) import side.

If you have arrays involved, one way or another, it's bound to cause trouble. Also, dates, and any other 'unusual' data types that are likely to not map cleanly. So make sure you check those out carefully. HTH ;)

Stefan

Splitting an export up by column / field blocks sounds like madness.

Why do you need to break the export up into smaller parts?

If you have a progress development license you can simply:

Code:
OUTPUT TO "bigtable.tsv".
FOR EACH bigtable NO-LOCK:
   EXPORT DELIMITER "~t" bigtable.
END.
OUTPUT CLOSE.

To export your bigtable tab delimited.