Matches operator and decimal fields

stokefc22

Hi All, I hope some can help me with this before i pull all my hair out!!

long story as short as possible...
I have a dynamic tt that I populate using a given table I then display the data in a browse and allow the user to click a series of column headings to create a string of fields to search on. I have a fill in where on value change i generate a query to find records where the value of the selected matches the value in the fill in. In order to achieve this I have to convert each field I'm searching on into a character field(maybe not the best practice but there you go..) . The problem arises when I search on a decimal field. If I enter "1." then I get all "1.xxxx" and all "1xxxx" as the point is wildcard character in the matches. I have tried the double tilde with no joy, I can do this happily in a procedure editor but not using a query-prepare statement. Below is my code, any help would be much appreciated!

Code:
    define variable chrQuery            as character  no-undo.  
    define variable intCount            as integer    no-undo.  
    define variable hanTempTablePointer as handle     no-undo.  
    define variable hanCol              as handle     no-undo.  
    define variable chrFormat           as character  no-undo.  
    define variable chrFieldName        as character  no-undo.
    define variable chrSearchText       as character  no-undo.

/* search fields*/
    assign chrSearchCriteria    = chrSearchCriteria:screen-value in frame {&frame-name}.  

if chrSearchFields = "":u then  
    do:  
        message "Please select at least one field to search on.":u  
            view-as alert-box info buttons ok.  
        return "error":u.  
    end.  

/* add double tilde*/
    if index(chrSearchCriteria,".":u) > 0 then
        assign chrSearchCriteria =  substring(chrSearchCriteria,1,index(chrSearchCriteria,".":u) - 1) + "~~" + substring(chrSearchCriteria,index(chrSearchCriteria,".":u)).

assign  hanTempTablePointer = hanTempTable:default-buffer-handle  
            chrQuery            = "for each ttTable":u.  

do intCount = 1 to num-entries(chrSearchFields):  
        if intCount = 1 then  
            assign chrQuery = chrQuery + " where ":u.  

assign chrSearchText = entry(intCount,chrSearchFields).

if index(chrSearchText,"[":u) > 0 then
            assign chrFieldName = substring(chrSearchText,1,index(chrSearchText,"[":u) - 1).
        else
            assign chrFieldName = chrSearchText.

assign  hanCol      = hanTempTablePointer:buffer-field(chrFieldName)  
                chrFormat   = if hanCol:data-type = "date":u then ",":u + quoter("99/99/9999":u) else ",":u + quoter(string(hanCol:format)) 
                chrQuery    = chrQuery + "string(ttTable.":u + chrSearchText + chrFormat + ") matches ":u + quoter("*":u + chrSearchCriteria + "*":u).                  

if intCount <> num-entries(chrSearchFields) then  
            assign chrQuery = chrQuery + " or ":u.  
    end.  

assign chrQuery = chrQuery + " no-lock":u.  

/* this simply adds any break bys and reopens query...*/
    run displayData(hanTempTablePointer,chrQuery).

and then the code form my little procedure editor snippet that does return expected result...

Code:
for each grades where
        string(grades.tf-allow,">>>>>9.99") matches "*1~~.*":u no-lock
        break by tf-allow:
    display grades.tf-allow.
end.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Are you sure that you want to be doing this? MATCHES means a table scan. There is no way to bracket a query that uses MATCHES.

Looking at your code you also seem to have fallen into the composite field trap. It looks like a "1" in the hundreds place has magical powers. This is a major violation of relational database design which will lead to any number of horrible coding problems like this one.

GregTomkins

MATCHES would be OK if the result set is small enough, which it might be given the context is a browse.

Anyway, to the question at hand, I tried it and it worked fine for me. I think maybe there is a bug in your STRING code somewhere. I did this (below) and it correctly retrieved a value of 20.00 vs. 2.00. I don't think the use of CHR vs. escaped literals is actually relevant.

def var m as c.
m = quoter("*2" + chr(126) + chr(126) + chr(46) + "*").

h_qh:QUERY-PREPARE("FOR EACH " + p_table +
" WHERE string(cash,~">>>>>.99~") MATCHES " + m).

It would be disconcerting if the claim in your original question were true, because it would imply that PSC's MATCHES implementation is different depending whether it's used in a QUERY-PREPARE vs. directly, and that would be seem pretty shoddy. Good thing it's probably not true.

Stefan

The problem arises when I search on a decimal field. If I enter "1." then I get all "1.xxxx" and all "1xxxx" as the point is wildcard character in the matches. I have tried the double tilde with no joy, I can do this happily in a procedure editor but not using a query-prepare statement. Below is my code, any help would be much appreciated!

You need to double escape the tildes.

Code:
DEFINE TEMP-TABLE tt FIELD de AS DECIMAL.

CREATE tt. tt.de = 1.1.           
CREATE tt. tt.de = 11.

DEF VAR hq AS HANDLE.

CREATE QUERY hq.
hq:SET-BUFFERS( TEMP-TABLE tt:DEFAULT-BUFFER-HANDLE ).
hq:QUERY-PREPARE( "FOR EACH tt WHERE STRING( de ) MATCHES '1~~~~.*'" ).
hq:QUERY-OPEN().

DO WHILE hq:GET-NEXT():
   MESSAGE tt.de VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.
END.

Also beware that if you should be matching a decimal point depends on your numeric settings, so my example should really contain:

Code:
hq:QUERY-PREPARE( SUBSTITUTE( "FOR EACH tt WHERE STRING( de ) MATCHES '1&1*'", IF SESSION:NUMERIC-DECIMAL-POINT = "." THEN "~~~~." ELSE SESSION:NUMERIC-DECIMAL-POINT ) ).

stokefc22

Hi All, thanks for all your input I finally cracked it!! In an ideal world I agree we wouldn't do this but unfortunately I do not live in one :-(.

I ended up going with Stefan's example with a slight tweak.

Code:
hq:QUERY-PREPARE( "FOR EACH tt WHERE trim(STRING( de,'>>>,>>9.99' )) MATCHES '1~~~~.*'" ).

I needed the bit about the format as converting the decimal field to a string stripped off the '.00' from '1.00' and the bit about the trim to allow a format that was big enough for the largest value but also small enough for the smallest value.

Once again, many thanks.