Load Testing Progress application

saurabhsharma04

Hi
I am new to Progress. I guess we can test Progress application using Load Runner. Can anybody help me out on how to do it. What are steps required to do that. Any documents available?
Thanks in advance
Saurabh

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi there,

I've never worked with loadrunnr and AFAIK Loadrunner doesn't support progress as a client server database. What do you want to test in your application?
What version of Progress do you have and on what platform(OS) is the database resided?

Regards,

Casper

saurabhsharma04

Thanks for your reply Casper. I want to do Load testing of my Application which is developled in Progess 4GL and database is also Progress in Unix. The Version is 9.1E. I am open to any testing tool ... not just Load Runner. In forum I have read LoadRunner ,Segue and Auto Tester can do load testing for Progress. I didn't find any documents on it. Can you give me some pointers on this??

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

since you want to do load testing of your application I think you have to write some stuff yourself.
Most time it's enough to test how far your machine can go in respect to number of transactions per/seconds and number of records read per second.

There are programs to test this:

try take a look at readprobe from Tom Bascon: http://www.greenfieldtech.com/articles/how_fast_will_it_go.shtml

and the unsupported Progress atm benchmark at the peg utilities page:
http://www.peg.com/utilities.html

These programs do not test your application but gives you good estimates on how much you application server is capable of.

Then again I just found a Progres presentation in which LoadRunner is used to do application performance testing.

Although there is no information in it on how the loadrunner is configured, I can sent you that offline if you want.

Regards,

Casper.

saurabhsharma04

Thanks Praneesh , but ProUnit is for Unit testing not for load testing. I want to test say 10 + concurrent users making 100+ databse transcations at the same time. I want to test performance, response time for each screen. ProUnit is somthing at unit level , more to test functionality than performance. Correct me if I am wrong.