Launh my app

rzr

Hello all,

I have very limited exp working or using progress gui. To learn how to program gui i started to design my own little app that will "hopefully" :) have/do some xyz features/functions.

Here's what I did...
1. Wrote a launch.w - this is the login procedure

2. When launching my app, I use the following :
C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\prowin32.exe -pf C:\MyApp\myapp.pf -T %TEMP% -basekey ini -ininame C:\MyApp\myapp.ini -Wa -wpp

3. the parameter file myapp.pf has the following information

-d dmy
-Bt 225
-mmax 2048
-inp 8192
-p C:\MyApp\launch.w
-s 40
-T C:\MyApp\Temp
-h 10
-TB 4
-TM 4
-tok 1600

4. myapp.ini file has the following information:

[Startup]
V6Display=no
DefaultFont=System, size 9
Use-3D-Size=Yes
PROCFG=C:\Progress\OpenEdge\progress.cfg
PROPATH=C:\MyApp,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\adecomm.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\adecomp.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\adedesk.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\adedict.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\adeedit.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\adeicon.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\aderes.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\adeshar.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\adeuib.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\adeweb.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\adexml.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\prodict.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\protools.pl,C:\Progress\OpenEdge,C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin

[Databases]
sports=C:\MyApp\myappdb.pf

[Proedit]
SaveSettings=yes
ExitWarning=yes
SaveBufList=no
MinimizeBeforeRun=no
RestoreAfterRun=yes
PauseAfterRun=yes
AutoCleanup=yes
MostRecentlyUsedFileList=yes
MRUEntries=4
EditorFont=2
AutoSaveCls=no

5. myappdb.pf file has the following information
-db C:\Workdesk\Database\Sports\sports.db
-ld sports

I was able to launch my login window correctly. But I ran into two issues:

a. when i exit my app, it opens a new procedure editor.
b. also the sports db is not connected when my app is launched.

I am missing something here? kindy help ! :)

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Wow, I don't know where to start. There are more issues apart from the 2 you mention.
Implicit you ask many questions. Its kinda like asking how does progress work and how to make an appliaction with it.
This may not sound helpfull, but it would really help you out if you first took a few courses with regard to Progress application development. Start with the basics. If you have more specific questions we can answer them. But trying to answer this will lead to a thread of all kind of differet subjects. First stating your progress version is a start. And if you would start making an application now it would be better to let it run on the appserver in stead of making a fat client.

Regards,

Casper.

sdjensen

Add "-db C:\Workdesk\Database\Sports\sports.db" to myapp.pf to get the connection to sports database.

End your program with "Quit."

Good luck :D

rzr

Thank you both for your suggenstions.
QUIT in .w & -db addition worked.... i'll surely read the doc's :) ..but i like more the "hands-on" practice approach, where I do things and find issues rather than just read and assume. thnx..

medu

just to explain a bit...

you have tried to use the -pf parameter twice, one for startup params and one only for database connection... progress only use the first one, that's why you have to put everything in one .pf file

you end up in procedure editor because you have 4GL development installed, if you distribute it on a run-time only environment the application will close when you close the last window.

and, don't worry... no one reads the docs from start to end upfront :)
good luck

rzr

thanks m.edu for the "edu-cation" :) ... good to know these little details that I don't think I may have noted in any pdf's.. ....