Hosts & Services File Set Up

slh

Hi everyone,

I saw some of the parameters which is included in Shortcut Properties>> -tok 8000 -s 32000. How does that effect the start up Progress?

Also I realised some of the System files (Hosts, Services) add on the IP address and port number, how does it serve? System Files = C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

As a newbie using 9.1B, I simply put my Progress application on the server and let all user access it or otherwise needs to set it as hosts and services?

RealHeavyDude

Your questions are a little bit confusing to me, but -

1. -tok and -s are client startup parameters. They first sets the maximum number of tokens that are allowed for a single ABL statement. As of yet I have seen such a value mostly with ADM2/Dynamics applications which may exceed the default of 3000. The latter one sets the stack size which is an internal memory area used by ABL program modules. Whenever you hit these limits you get an error message advising you to increase them.
  2. The hosts and services file is needed to translate host and service aliases into actual TCP addresses and ports respectively. If you specify aliases at the server start or in connect statements and you have no DNS that resolves the translation then you need to configure the hosts and services file of the operating system. This behavior is not specific to Progress, it is specific to TCP.
  3. Don't let everybody access your database files - that's worst practice. To give you a more specific advise we would need more information on what clients connect to the database and how they connect.
Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

slh

Hi dude,

To give you a more specific advise we would need more information on what clients connect to the database and how they connect.

Pardon me, but I dont quite understand what clients means.

2.Basically its a workgroup application afaik.

RealHeavyDude

A database is no application. The application usually are clients which connect to the database and use it. If the clients are remote clients ( connecting to the database via TCP ) then they don't need to access anything else then the IP port on which the database broker is listening and the port range which is used by the remote servers. If your client connects single user then it must have full access privileges to the database files. In any other case they don't need to.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.