Help with Missing printrb file

slh

Hi All,

Currently I had the printrb*.r but missing *.w file though.

Being new, I am not sure is printrb file is a ready available file in progress softwar or otherwise 'self-code' type also I had no idea hows the coding like.

Anyone can share about printrb file?

rzr

i think the installation comes only with the .r.... C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\aderb\_printrb.r

slh

i think the installation comes only with the .r.... C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\aderb\_printrb.r
Hi rzr,

Thanks, but I am unable to find it in the location as stated above where I had installed my progress 9.1b.

RealHeavyDude

You don't tell anything about your Progress/OpenEdge version you are using. That is important information as the way how the source code comes with the installation differs. The other thing I noticed that you are most likely talking about report builder related stuff - am I correct?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

slh

Hi Dude,

Version 9.1b thats what I am usingNot sure if its report builder related but I managed to realised there's a 'default' copy came from progress installation under>> c:\Program Files\Progress\gui\aderb (presumly Progress is installed in c:\)

Thanks again for your helpful tips :)

Regards

RealHeavyDude

Progress 9.1b is so old that I vaguely remember:

The source code is shipped too. It is contained in a procedure library. For almost each directory in the GUI folder that is missing in the SRC folder there should be a pl which can be extracted with the extractpl.bat residing in the SRC folder.

You should be aware that the report builder is deprecated since ... I guess 8.2 ... and I would recommend you to use something different for reporting.

slh

Hi Dude,

Interesting to know that I can actually extract the source code from bat file. Will try it and let you know.

Which means literally all *.r file coming from Progress installation can be extract to Source Files?

slh

Hi Dude,

Interesting to know that I can actually extract the source code from bat file. Will try it and let you know.

Which means literally all *.r file coming from Progress installation can be extract to Source Files?

Harlo Dude,

I came across Knowledge No: 89196, alternatively you can also try to search by keyword:extractpl by user:Maviee dated:25 Aug 2005.

It talks about using extractpl.bat which I search resides in C:\Program Files\Progress\src. Based on my understanding presumely all *.r files came from Progress software installation (by default) can be extract to retrieve *.w files as indicate (Examples of file I would like to extract>> C:\Program Files\Progress\gui\aderb\_printrb.r)?

RealHeavyDude

Progress always shipped the GUI and TTY compiled versions and the source code in the respective sub folders beneath the installation directory ( gui, tty and src respectively ). Beginning with some version 9 they decided it would be smart to make the installation package smaller so they decided to put the source code ( .w .i and .p ) into procedure libraries ( .pl ). All you need to do to extract them from the procedure libraries is to use the extractpl.bat with the .pl you want to extract as 1st input parameter.

slh

Hi Dude,

A little help to start extractPL in dos or GUI? Any guide or reference to point out please?

RealHeavyDude

I always used it in a CMD command shell on Windows. There is no GUI provided by Progress for its usage. Furthermore you need to know the name of the .pl or sub folder which you want to extract. I don't think there is a comprehensive documentation available to it.

slh

Hi Casper,

Its awesome, for the benefit of future suer I paste it here.

: P11858
Title: "How to extract prodict.pl"
Created: 10/21/2002Last Modified: 10/14/2008Status: Verified

Goals:
How to extract prodict.pl
Where to find load_d.p
Where to find dump_d.
Where to find database dictionary executables
Fixes:
prodict.pl can be found in %DLC%/src/prodict.pl

STEPS:
1) Go to "%DLC%/src/extractpl.bat
Open extractpl.bat and find: ":pRODICT",
then copy the "mkdir" commands for PRODICT to a bat file (say) LIC.bat

2) run lic.bat # to create the folders necessary to extract

3) prolib prodict.pl -extract *.*

and the .p's that are required are now extracted in the "prodict" folder (and its subcomponents, like load_d.p and dump_d.p for example)

PS: 1 last thing, not sure is it consider dumb to ask this: anyway I am trying to retrieve the *.w file from it how do I know in which Library it resides in?

Regards

RealHeavyDude

Usually the procedure is run folder-name/procedure-name.p where folder-name matches the name of the procedure library.

slh

Usually the procedure is run folder-name/procedure-name.p where folder-name matches the name of the procedure library.

Hey dude,

Thanks, If I wana search for _printrb.w file where would you recommend because it seeme that Progress provides only *r file.

RealHeavyDude

I think the _printrb is part of the infamous report builder and the last time I did something with the it was in 1996. I don't think it is a .w - instead I think it is a .p plus I don't think that the report builder source code is part of the installation package - at least not anymore. I would say that they have abandoned it long time ago - something like version 8.2 or so around the time I did something with it the last time ...

Therefore I doubt that anybody could help you with that particular source code. Is there any particular reason as to why you need it?