From 8.2b db to space delimited dump

camay123

I got a win nt 4 with progress 8.2b

I need to do a dump of the tables in space delimted format.

However, some area are greyed out in my dictionnary.

I beleive it is because of license issue.

I have access to a computer with progress 9.1d but cannot import the db because it is not of same version.

any idea how to do it ?

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You can do a binary dump in version 8 to load it in V9. (Why do you use such ancient versions of OS and Progress releases, your data doesnt mean much to you I suppose, and if thats the case why put it in a database anyway). This kinda feels like explaining pong on a game forum :p

Regards,
casper.

camay123

Hi Casper,

As for the old data and software, these are not are production systems anymore. We just kept the system because we coluld consult the client database. Now, we want to get rid of the physical computers hosting these, and we have two options:

Virtualising everything, or just extracting the db in text to convert in mysql, to insert in our allready made php script to consult these old databse that we have.

As for virtualising, everything works, except that im unbale to start the progress on the nt 4 terminal server, and i belive it is a shared folder problem. I see the shared folder on the main nt4 server, but cannot read the content inside.

As for getting a text dump, thats why im here.

How should i go and take a binary dump on the v8 machine ? And forget me, but I also have access to an openedge 10.x install (58 days left to eval) on a windows 7 laptop. would that be easier in the process to ultimatly get a text file dump of the db ? The v9 install is on my laptop at home on vista, and dont really want to use it for this.

Regards,
Patrick

camay123

ok, today i have done:

trunctate v8 db
copy v8 db
makemultiv v8 db

Now trying to convert on progress 9 with:

proutil v8db -C conv89

Got me a successfull db in v9, that i loaded in 9.1D, and then i did a dictionnary dmp in .d files.

So success.