dynamic objects

KrisM

Progress allows you to keep track of dynamically created objects.
For example, for dynamic datasets (create dataset statement) you can use session:first-dataset + next-sibling. For dynamic queries (create query statement) you can use session:first-query + next-sibling.

Does something similar exist for xml objects (create x-document statement) ?

RealHeavyDude

AFAIK - No.

But - IMHO - there is a slight misunderstanding of this functionality: Progress does not allow you to keep track, it keeps track of these objects for you and it just allows you to access handle based objects for which you don't have the handle anymore.

Losing the handle to a handle based object you create is the first step on the road to hell - the memory leak hell, to be specific. Therefore your application must keep track of the handle based objects you create - if it doesn't then you are not taking your responsibility as a developer. The possibility to do some sort of handle based object walk is just the last line of defense to pin down memory leaks.

Having said that I should add that all of what I said is IMHO of course.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

KrisM

I still find it strange and a bit disappointing that for dynamic datasets or queries, you can verify if other developers are doing a good job, but not for xml objects.

(IMHO = in my humble opinion)

RealHeavyDude

I am completely with you.

I would wish for something like SESSION:FIRST-HANDLE-BASED-OBJECT - which would give you the possibility to find every rogue handle based object that is just hanging about in your session - thus memory leaking.

It would make the job of pinning down memory leaks much easier and more transparent.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
That would be fantastic! We already have a secret window in our application that shows procedures and super procedures, along with buffers etc. Even allows you to destroy them at your own risk. To have such functionality as above would be brilliant.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I totally agree. Would be great to have session:first-dynamic-handle....