Question Dump and Load

What's the typically time required for a dump and load of a Progress database that's about 8GB? The system has 8GB of memory running quad core 3.2 procs.

I'm using documentation that's provided by Epicor that runs the database on OpenEdge 10.1B

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
It's also worth considering an upgrade to 10.2B08, or even 11.3 as there has been a lot of attention given to the dump and load process.

cj_brandt

Why not just test it during a weekend or other time when client isn't using system ? Run a binary dump during off hours and then load it in a 2nd copy.

its only 8gb so you probably have enough space.

RealHeavyDude

Without testing you will never know how long it will take. The biggest bottleneck is file i/o - your disk sub system. The dump & load future can have big surprise in store for you - performance wise. Function wise it is rock solid and I never had any problem so far.

For example: All the file system we are allowed to use on our Sun Solaris zones are ZFS file systems on a SAN which are mirrored to a standby data center. Splitting the mirror for the dump & load ( after having backed up the database first, of course ) reduced the total time to 50%.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

jurriaan

A course indication might be 'How long does your backup run?'. If that is taking an hour or more, you're in trouble....
When dumping and loading I got IT to loan me a VMWare instance with SSD storage. Dump time went down by a factor 20 (!!). I kept the database up-to-date on the VMWare instance by applying after image files.