Drop-down calendar option for setting dates.

So far the only possible solution I found is:

1. export the date field into VB6
2. in vb6 app create an instance of DTPicker (described here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa231249(VS.60).aspx )
3. pass back the selected date.

It would require a lot of steps though b/c the only way I know of exporting stuff to VB6 is by creating a third party .txt file with parameters. And as of right now I don't even know how to return anything back to progress. Any help to get me started...

I was hoping of just embedding an OCX control into the progress program itself. Does anybody know if its possible with progress 9?

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I don't see why this would not be possible.

What problems do you encounter when trying to use a datepicker ocx?

Casper.

Casper

Staff member
I think the windows datepicker is the easiest.
Just drop it on your window and it works.

See attached example.

Casper.

Attachments

• DatePicker.w
    10.6 KB · Views: 61
for some reason it sais

"DatePicker.wrx
The binary control file could not be found. The controls cannot be loaded"
when I try to run your example.

Do I have to create some kind of *.wrx binary?
edit: it did create that binary inside of the directory, however it cant read it for some reason.

edit: Never mind I just had to point propath to the directory where .wrx file was located. Now everything works. Thank you so much.

Casper

Staff member
I assume you use windows XP.

The wrx file is automatically generated when the program is compiled or run from the appbuilder.

If the error you say happens then that means you miss the ocx. You can download this here:
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/support_dll.phtml?dllname=MSCOMCT2.OCX

Download the ocx. It is named .htm --> rename to ocx and put in
%WINDIR%\systems32

Don't overwrite any existing ones, if there is already an ocx with the same name then you have something else going on.

you must register it with:
regsvr32 mscomct2.ocx

After this you should be able to run the program I send.

Casper.

Thanks Casper I have it working now.

Although I do have some files that are not able to run through appbuilder, meaning I can't have a wrx file for them.

Casper

Staff member
Although I do have some files that are not able to run through appbuilder, meaning I can't have a wrx file for them.
progress.gif
What do you mean with this?

Casper.

i just have some programs from progress 8.3 that run fine on progress 9, but cannot be opened in appbuilder b/c some kind really wierd bugs.

Casper

Staff member
We had some problems with that because of unknown values in comboboxes, removing those solved the problem.

What kind of error do you get?

casper.

on one of the programs it keeps telling me that "x_U record not on file" and although it opens the program but fails to show all of the fields, buttons and widgets. It shows just the menu items and a blank window. It does compile w/o app builder thou.

It does it for another program as well. I just checked.

Casper

Staff member
This turns out to become a "how to work with appbuilder" threads, which is a rather big topic. I suggest you try to get a course or do some reading in the documentation.

It would be nice if you would try to be familliar with the appbuilder first.
It is not that difficult.
And if you have any queations then ask that question in a seperate thread.

About the x_u record not on file error. That means the file is corrupted. Probabaly because of an editing error caused by openening the file in Appbuilder. If you can open the file then save it under a different name and compare it with the original one.

Another thing, upgrading form 8.3 to 9.1C seems kinda pointless to me. If you upgrade, do that to the latest version of Progress, which is 10.1C (10.2A is just released, but not yet available to me).

Casper.

Furthermore

thanks for ur help Casper.

Yeah appbuilder messes with my code a lot so I try to use it only when I need something like OCX, or I have an option of writing a program from scratch. Otherwise I reuse stuff from 8.3.

But it looks like there is no way around it this time. I have to open that program in appbuilder and it refuses giving me the "no x_U record found". I followed ur advice and saved the result of the appbuilder, it cut out most of the code. I don't know if it helps or not but here are the two instances of a program before and after appbuilder.

Attachments

• est-mstr.w
    468 KB · Views: 13
  • est-mstr_currupt.w
    10.8 KB · Views: 12