Question Does Progress not like symbolic links?

ron

I have a system that controls some overnight activity. I created a directory /u0/sr - and under it several other directories for scripts, logs, data files and a small Progress DB (10.2B under Red Hat Linux). The DB is (naturally enough) in /u0/sr/db.

I ran into file space problems. It was not too easy to increase the size of the parent file system. Another file system (/backup/local) had plenty of space so I decided to move everything into there.

I created a new directory /backup/local/sr; renamed /u0/sr to be /u0/xx, copied everything under /u0/xx into /backup/local/sr - and finally created a symbolic link /u0/sr --> /backup/local/sr.

Having done all of that - everything "seemed" OK. I was able to start-up the DB in the new location - and run Progress utilities like tabanalys and idxanalys. However, when I tried to do a backup - things fell apart ....

# pwd
/u0/sr/db
# probkup ./sr probkup.dat
/backup/local/sr/db/sr.db is a copy of /u0/sr/db/sr.db. Database cannot be opened. (598)

I remember having a similar problem using 9.1D some years ago using symbolic links.

Is there a way to get around this problem? I presume that one solution might be to change the structure file path names to be the new physical location - but I want to know if there is a solution using the symbolic link.

Ron.