Development and Live version control

Hi all,

We currently have a substantial system running on a UNIX platform and providing a character interface to our users. Works well, but for various reasons we need to start moving at least some of the functions to a GUI environment. We still need to maintain development, test and live versions of our code, and therefore need to ensure that the propath set at startup will be correct for the particular version of the database which is started.

Starting the correct database version is easy to manage using a .pf file, but how about setting the propath at startup. Our gui development environment is WIN2000, and all our users have either WIN2000 or NT4. The source and rcode will all be stored in a directory structure on an NT4 server. So far so good.

What is required is to make sure the propath includes the correct source and rcode directories. We do not want to end up compiling development source into the live system rcode directory.

I have tried using the -ininame parameter in the .pf file, but the system does not seem to use the progress.ini file to store the propath. Is there something I need to do to make sure the propath is held in the .ini file, or is there some other way of specifying the propath which will not be universal.

Help please.

David.

(Have a nice day :) )

Perhaps not the best solution but...

You could define your propaths in the regedit of your client machines. It is of course a pain if you want to change your paths later but it just an idea...

Using the windows start menu call up the programme regedit and look in the directory HKey-local-machine/PSC/Progress/8Bc/Startup/

click on the propath property and fill in new propaths seperating them with commas.

Matthew Scott

David,

Create a new .ini file containing your development propath, store it on the NT server and create a shortcut with the target line containing the -pf and -ininame parameters.

U

Unregistered

you can edit the propath in regedit, but this is on a profile basis. i.e. if another network logs onto the same win2000 client, he will not have the same propath set up. Right click on your 'my computer' icon and select properties, then choose the tab that says environment. add a PROPATH environment variable under SYSTEM environment variables the is equal to the propath you want. you need to be an admin on the client to do this.

Thanks to all the people who answered.

The registry does not seem to be a goer, as the users will need different options depending on which version they are running.

The .ini file is definitely the way to go. The trick, I eventually discovered is that you must use -basekey INI and -ininame ....... , and that both of these must be on the command line. THey cannot be in the .pf file.

The other useful thing is the -param parameter. I think in the long run, it was probably the most useful.

Have a nice day,
David