Database Health

What do you mean by parameters - startup parameters of the database?
What Progress/OpenEdge version do you use?
What OS is the database running on?

Your question is way too generic and open ended. Do you experience any particular problem?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

I am using progress91d in unix server.

This is one of my interview question. how to check the database health status.(It includes startup parameter(tuning) ,server level ,etc).

for eg: To increase -B we will check buffer hit ratio %. Any relevant document to fine tune for all the startup parameter . please suggest.

any other variable to check database health .please share the points.

IMHO database health is a very broad topic, at least it has several aspects you need to take care of ( in no particular order ... ):

• Security - is the data in your database protected against unauthorized access
  • Integrity - is the data in your database protected against corruption
  • Disaster recovery - do you meet the SLA agreed with business on downtime and possible data loss
  • Performance - do you have any performance issues business users are complaining about
  • Capacity - are there enough hardware resources available on your system to support database growth
More or less the startup parameters like the buffer pool ( -B ) are just about perfomance. You need to dig into each of the above topics to design control objectives and standards which will in summary indicate whether your database is "healthy" when you are compliant.

You see, it's really a very broad topic and not just about tuning database startup parameters.

BTW, performance tuning is not just a few magic parameter settings depending on some threshold values - it's more about pinning down and solving real performance issues. It takes experience, time and knowledge about the system and it's usage to actually tune a system. I know that many people just want the system to go as fast as possible - but what that is is highly depending on what your real requirements are.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Back