Data Encryption

TheMadDBA

If you are talking about data at rest encryption you will have to upgrade to a supported version (everything below 10.2B is unsupported and retired). There are also a number of functions available in newer versions to encrypt data in transit or use hashes. Your options are extremely limited in V9.

With 10.2B and above you can purchase TDE (Transparent Data Encryption)... it works like a charm and has very low overhead. Comparable to Oracle and SQL Server.

Progress KB - What is Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)?

If you are talking about data at rest encryption you will have to upgrade to a supported version (everything below 10.2B is unsupported and retired). There are also a number of functions available in newer versions to encrypt data in transit or use hashes. Your options are extremely limited in V9.

With 10.2B and above you can purchase TDE (Transparent Data Encryption)... it works like a charm and has very low overhead. Comparable to Oracle and SQL Server.

Progress KB - What is Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)?
Thanks a lot...!!

Anything available in 9.1xx as you said limited options ... Anything we can try with 9.1x?
I just have idea about code encryption with XCODE. But I want to secure DB data.

TheMadDBA

For 9.1X you would have to completely write all of the encryption and decryption by hand and alter all data stored in the database... most indexes would be unusable and everything would be stored as character or raw... I would not advise doing that.

Just upgrade to a new version if they are that concerned about security... there are countless other issues that have been resolved with modern versions that deal with security and single sign on just to name a few.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Version 9 was designed and released in the dark ages. Way back in the 90s. Nobody gave a hoot about encryption back then. Which is why there is no support for serious encryption in v9.

If you really care about encryption then you (or the company that you work for) also probably care about lots of security related issues. Which raises the question of why you would even consider running something as backwards and unsuitable for the purpose as version 9. That would be like running Windows 95 or Oracle 7.