common file extensions

whwar9739

Since I am still fairly new to Progress I have a short simple question.

At my current position I am seeing some .v extentions that are used similar to a .i file. Does progress see these files differently?

Code:
{status.i}
{status.v}

Also does anyone have a list of common extentions for progress files beyond .p, .i and .r?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
.p, .i, .r, .w, and more recently .cls are the only standard Progress extensions. Any others are specific to the software. I have heard of people using .v for blocks of variable definitions. Similarly, I have heard of .f for form definitions (that might have been a standard from the V6 tool days). Old Varnet installations used .t for documentation and .s for sample screen or output. Various extensions have been used to indicate modules needing runtime compile like .pn and .pu. I suppose there are a bunch more, but you are either going to have to build a table empirically or tell us what the software is and hope that someone knows the standards for that particular package (unless, of course, they are in-house idiosyncratic).

sphipp

Similarly, I have seen .v for database validation, .t for triggers, .f for forms, and so on. Thre trouble with not using .i files is that it isn't always obvious what the files are.

I prefer to use ...v.i, ...f.i, ...t.i or just put all the forms in a forms sub-directory and all validation in a validate sub-directory.