Coding on Windows - QAD on Unix

scatirau

Hi Everyone!

Here's the deal:
The Progress Database (MFG/PRO) is on a UNIX machine.
All the coding is being done on Windows machines, using Procedure Editor 9.1E. It's being used only because it UPPERCASEs. :lol:
Is there a way to make out lives easier without having to buy OpenEdge Studio, etc.?
Is there some way to connect to the Database (using ODBC maybe...) and to compile/validate the code without having to copy/paste the code into the putty screen which is connected to the Unix in char mode?
All tips that will make my life easier will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance fellow Progresstalkers! :awink:

medu

hmm, you mention version 9.1E for progress client on windows but what is the progress version on the database server? I presume it's some 10+ since you can't directly connect to it from the 9.1E client.

If that's the case I think your only bet will be to write some 'compile broker' using plain socket programming and set it to listen on the database server for 'compile' requests coming from the windows client... you have to take care of propath issues and keep somehow the local and remote environments in sync, propagate the user changes locally to some kind of developer workspace on remote server.