bi-directional algorithm

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Hi Everybody,

Unfortunately Progress codepage conversion does not support bi-directional algorithm ( bidi ) for right-to-left ( rtl ) languages e.g. Hebrew, Arabic, Persian etc.

I'm looking into writing a few 4gl routines for logical to visual and vice-versa conversions etc., for better integration with Progress, and with UNIX.

I've had a look at the bidi specifications, man, and I thought the Progress docs were unclear. But even without them, I think, I get the general idea.

If anyone has done something similar I'd be interested in their opinion, advice etc. BTW, does anyone else have a need for such tool ?

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
from what i've seen it doesn't have the conversion utils i'm looking for, mostly discusses the built-in html support.

overall an amazing site !

i've been wrestling with the idea for a few days and i think it'll be ready in a few more, more to come.

the specs were unreadable, one of the worst articles i've seen in a while. no surprise here :p

how can someone take an idea that can be explained in a sentence or two, in thirty plus pages ?!

thanks Lee !

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
wow, this one was tough. everything seems to be working now.

i think i'll hang on to this one for now. don't mind giving it for free if it'll get
me some consulting work.

i've wrestled with optimizing performance for a while to get to an acceptable
level for intensive processing situations.

another interesting fact, is that diff versions of windows have slightly diff
implementations, backwards compatible my ***.