Accessing Progress with ODBC

huntermccray

Hey Guys and Gals,
I am a newbie to this forum, and even more of a newbie to Progress. And, you guessed it, I need some help.

I have an application that runs my retail business that I wrote using Visual Basic with an Access Database. My main supplier uses a Progress Database, with a front-end of unknown origin (unknown to me, anyway). They have distributed an application that allows me to place orders and check their inventory via a direct dial phone connection. Their front-end utilizes a local (to me) progress database and the dial-up simply does the house-keeping.

I would like to incorporate some of their database into my own application. I would like to be able to transfer my Purchase Orders directly to their database structure, and I would like to access their inventory from my application.

To accomplish these tasks, I need to know what Software I will need. I have no plans to create any applications that require the full blown Progress Package, and I have no need to alter the underlieing Progress database structure. I do need to be able to access the tables and queries along with their field names and parameter names. I have read a bit on the Progress Site about an SDK that allows access to progress using ODBC, but I have been unable to find whether there is a shareware or freeware version of this, or if the functionality is built into Win 2000 Pro....In short I know nothing about Progress.

Can Progress be opened from MS Visual Studio Products W/O a current version of Progress? Can I use SQL statements to access it?

Thank you all in advance for bearing with someone who is such a newbie. Any help or responses would be greatly appreciated.

With Warm Regards,

Hunter McCray

MurrayH

Use ODBC

If you are using Progress V9 .. you have the choice of using ODBC (SQL-92) or the ProxyGen to create ActiveX objects that can be dropped into VB and talk to an AppServer. I've used both and they box working within VB and VC++. The choice is yours.

If you are using V8 .. its down to ODBC and looking at either OpenLink or Intersolv (Merant).

Murray