vdennis

We have an include that has the following:

{pv-mail.i
&to = "cMailTo"
&subject = "cMailSubject"
&message = "cMailMessage"
&attach = "cMailAttach"
&comstream = "/*"}
Here is the problem: the "/*" part makes everything afterwards show up as remarked, you, green lines.
I thought I had solved this before but not sure. (Old age) Is this something in my setting that changed or have I just forgotten? Has anyone else run into this? Does not affext the program, just damn hard reading it.
Have a great day.:)
Dennis

vdennis

No, no errors at all. Running progress editor in windows, and I will attach a screen shot.
And the software works fine.
-Dennis-

Attachments

• ReMarked-Lines.jpg
    ReMarked-Lines.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 5

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I think it's either an issue with your editor configuration or a bug in your Progress version. For me, the following code has the correct syntax highlighting in Procedure Editor in 10.2B07:

Code:
{pv-mail.i
&to = "cMailTo"
&subject = "cMailSubject"
&message = "cMailMessage"
&attach = "cMailAttach"
&comstream = "/*"}

/* this is a comment */

DISPLAY "have a nice day".

GregTomkins

There are so many good things about Progress ... their developer tools and especially their pre-Eclipse editor is not one of them. I've always wondered why they pay so little attention to the one thing that stares a big part of their user base, developers, in the face all day long.

It's like Porche made an awesome car but the steering wheel is a couple of bricks lashed together with broken glass around the outside.

vdennis

Well, we do not have a choice in editors here as our main software is from SX, and we do a lot of 'editing' as it were. And I do believe it is an issue with the editor settings as I went in to make a small change and now this. When we went from 9.x to 10.0c03 I believe it went away unitl I made the change. Progress has always impress me with they always have something new to replace what is not working. And as our support is thru SX, doubt they would answer the question anyway. I may end up looking at Eclipse again, as I did like its version tracking, and I will change this code out and replace it with SMTPMAIL. I wrote a routine that is SMTPMAIL failed because of a no connection or other error, the entire message including any attachments were saved. Anothter program which runs in the back ground check the hold file an if ther are any records check to see if the mail server is back up and if so resends the messages. A better way anyway.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Well, we do not have a choice in editors here as our main software is from SX

Lots of people use plenty of other editors to work with the SX code.

I've done it myself.

It's text. You can use any editor that you'd like. The Progress "editor" just happens to be installed. It also just happens to be horrid.

I suspect that you're talking about one of the Windows based editing tools. You're apparently using an ancient, obsolete and unsupported release of Progress (from above it sounds like 10.0c) and there were indeed issues like the one that you describe in the early color-coding support.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Trouble is, if you upgrade too far you lose all the colour coding support.
Personally I'd just use TextPad with the 4GL language library installed - it's a lot better than the Progress editor. Or install 11.2 and use the Developer Studio which is very nice indeed.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It is worth noting that since the advent of PDSOE (OEA), there isn't a lot of motivation for PSC to improve the basic procedure editor.

GregTomkins

I tried to like OEA but it's slow, stalls/crashes (< often but > never), I believe it is muchos dineros (though that is not my problem), and most importantly I eventually gave up trying to get it to work properly with RoundTable. My basic mode of operation is: check out in stand-alone RTB, edit in Notepad++ (which is super-fast, works nearly perfectly, and can be setup to run the P4GL compiler a lot more easily than setting up OEA).

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
PSDOE is integrated just fine with RoundTable ... ask them about it. If anything, they are pushing it. There is lots there to like and that is where the future lies.

GregTomkins

I know, but, at the time, we were running an incompatible version of RTB and I work in the kind of place version upgrades are scheduled in terms of years and decades, not hours and days ;)

I'm not saying OEA doesn't work with RTB, just that I couldn't get it to work ... and Notepad++ is good enough that I'm not motivated to look into OEA again anytime soon.

Stefan

Notepad++ is good enough that I'm not motivated to look into OEA again anytime soon.

I've been using an advanced text editor until a few years back when I decided, pushed by a corporate move to Team Foundation Server, to have another serious look at Progress Developer Studio. It's lovely.
  • intellisense on tables / fields
  • amazingly fast text search
  • compile on save
  • team explorer everywhere plug-in to integrate with tfs
  • outline view

GregTomkins

amazingly fast text search

I don't think this is what you mean (is it?) but one of the most amazingly useful things a coworker ever did was rig up a Google-style subsecond text search ... across our whole code base (thousands of files, millions of lines) (including 4GL as well as schema, JavaScript, etc.) complete with syntax hiliting and hyperlinks between programs (which I know OEA does as well). It's based on Apache Lucene and I use it all day every day. Anyhow, one of these days I'll give OEA another shot ;)

vdennis

Lots of people use plenty of other editors to work with the SX code.

I've done it myself.

It's text. You can use any editor that you'd like. The Progress "editor" just happens to be installed. It also just happens to be horrid.

I suspect that you're talking about one of the Windows based editing tools. You're apparently using an ancient, obsolete and unsupported release of Progress (from above it sounds like 10.0c) and there were indeed issues like the one that you describe in the early color-coding support.
We are usint 10.1c03. Don't think that is too outdated.