Question 9.1C and Windows CE

ezequiel

Hello, we are about purchase some bar code scanners, PDA-like, with Windows CE.

So, the question is if we can install a Progress client in a scanner with Windows CE or Windows Embedded, and use a specifically-written app in it.

I just read in the knowledgebase: "At this writing, no Progress products are certified to run with Windows CE."

It is clear: "No certified"
But.... can it run, even uncertifiedly?

Have anybody try to do it?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
9.1C? Is that a joke? It's 2013, even if you were to insist on v9 (goodness knows why...) you should be talking about 9.1e04.

In any event -- I suggest you ask Bob Brennan. He does a lot of work with those sorts of devices.

RealHeavyDude

I am aware of somebody that runs a Delphi application on such a device. It connects via Web Services to an OpenEdge 10.1B AppServer that connects to a 9.1B database ...

Did I say something?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You can run non-ABL clients on such a device and talk to ABL via AppServer, but you are dreaming about running an ABL app there.

FrancoisL

You can install progress on a Unix or Linux server and write a CHARACTER application and use a telnet client on your PDA to login with telnet on the server and run the application. A good telnet for those PDA should transfer the information from the laser read to the telnet session.

Also note that the .Net compact Framework that used on windows CE CANNOT use the .Net DLL generated by the proxygen since they require the full .Net framework . So you can only use webservices or webspeed to talk to a .net compact framework app.